Double Cardan Joint Centering Ball??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Double Cardan Joint Centering Ball???

Jim F

Reaction score
City, State
Martinez, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
The scheduled service described on OwnerConnection.com says I need to "Lubricate rear driveshaft double cardan joint centering ball". Can someone give me a hint as to what this is? I figure it's the sliding part of the drive shaft, but the last I looked it's covered with a boot. If this is the case, how do I lube it? Any ideas

I'm not sure but I'd guess it's next to the piston return springs or the chrome muffler bearing!! J/K

Actually I've never heard of this thing either and I'm curious just for my knowledge.

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks (to me, at least) that the Explorer never used a double cardan joint on the rear driveshaft. The Haynes manual says that the '97 and earlier used a double cardan at the front driveshaft/transfer case joint, but in '98 this was changed to a non-servicable CV joint. A double cardan joint is when two u-joints are used at one joint. They are connected by a centering yoke. I found a diagram here that shows a breakdown of a double cardan joint.

The front drive shaft uses Double Cardan U-joints. Pic This joint is located right at the T Case and has a center yoke with 2 u-joints. The attached link contains an exploded diagram w/ two joint types. The centering ball stud is inside this yoke. You should first pick up a new centering ball stud seal Seal before starting this project. This seal will often have small tears/cracks around the perimeter and should be replace. Also when marking the parts for later alignment you must mark the center yoke with an arrow pointing to the "T" case. This is because the center yoke can fit into positions left or right and up or down..
Double cardan U-Joint info

Back