Drive shaft Center Bearing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drive shaft Center Bearing

Albright

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Sport
2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT v6 4.0l 2wrd. A mechanic said that the Carrier Bearing is bad on the drive shaft.and that the drive shaft is not serviceable. The problem is further compounded by the fact that a replacement part from Ford is unavailable at this time with no expected date for it to be available. Some sources indicate that the bearing and bracket is replaceable. From what I have researched the bearing comes friction welded to the shaft and must be cutoff for removal. Are there other feasible options available to address this matter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT v6 4.0l 2wrd. A mechanic said that the Carrier Bearing is bad on the drive shaft.and that the drive shaft is not serviceable. The problem is further compounded by the fact that a replacement part from Ford is unavailable at this time with no expected date for it to be available. Some sources indicate that the bearing and bracket is replaceable. From what I have researched the bearing comes friction welded to the shaft and must be cutoff for removal. Are there other feasible options available to address this matter?
Go aftermarket. Mine sat at a Ford dealer for 2 1/2 months waiting on a new drive shaft. I got tired of waiting and ordered one from Rock Auto. My understanding is that they are on “national backorder” until May 29th.

Thanks Juaneo1968 for your reply. I will check with Rock Auto. Where did you find the information about the national back order?

Sounds and feels like rumble strips

Post #7 I believe is the one that mentions the back order. Once I read that I called the dealer who just said “Well yes, that’s possible, but we’re hopeful that it will be in before that.”
Blah, blah, blah. Just a way for them to keep my truck there to install the OEM part. They were understanding though and agreed to install the Rock Auto shaft.

Juaneo1968 thanks again for your replies, I greatly appreciate them.

I’ve had trouble finding the slip yoke drive shaft, anyone know where I can get one at a decent price, I had my transmission rebuilt, and they said I needed a new drive shaft. I already knew this but the drive shaft is expensive and they keep sending me one with a silver ball on the end with like 8 bolt holes. Sorry if the way I’m describing it sounds odd. I’m not an auto mechanic by trade, I do need help though. Thanks a lot folks

Driveshafts Incorperated in Tulsa, Oklahoma makes an aftermarket driveshaft with an easily replaceable center support. I have had it on my truck for 2 years and works great. Great quality too

For the 2WD, you can replace the carrier bearing. See my posts on this thread: Drive shaft Center Bearing

~ 20,000 miles later, still works perfect.

Back