Driveline vibration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driveline vibration

E

Exploderman

Just finished a Tuff Country 4" lift install. I now have an increased drive line vibration (I had small amount before). I measured the u-joint angles and got this: rear axle pinion shaft points up 9 1/2 degrees from horizontal and the rear transfer case output points down 4 degrees from horizontal. Is this difference enough to cause an increase in vibration? I did not measure these before the install ( recommend anyone doing a lift to do this 1st if you can.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey i have heard it recommended that the joints both be at least 2 degrees so the bearings get used and that they should be pretty close to the same , if its 4 degrees at the trans case then use degree shims at the axle to make it 4 degrees or close. i have seen people set the axle angle at zero and then when the axle turns up frmo torque its negative degrees. good luck also make sure you havent lost a weight off a wheel or shaft.

I've got the Superlift 4". I have the same freaking vibration. Here's my canned story:

Please help!!! Vibration at 62 mph and on.

I have had my 91 XLT 4 door Explorer for about 3 years now. I love the thing, despite its many flaws. I already stuck a new engine in (160,000 miles) and it runs like a charm. Here is my setup: 4” Skyjacker Suspension System with the new springs and coils, 33x12.5 B.F. Goodrich All Terrains. Here is my problem. It vibrates terribly between 62 and on up mph. I have gone to every ford dealership within a 100-mile radius and they can’t find the problem. I’ve done a lot of researcher on the use groups such as this one and have already installed or modified my truck as per advice. I have a totally new front end due to an accident, but it shook before the accident. The shaking happens in a side to side motion such as the wheels are unbalanced. I can’t count how many time I’ve had my rims checked for being bent and the number of balancing’s and front end alignments I’ve had. Everything up front in the wheel bearing has been replaced. All u-joints replaced. Tried all different types of radius arm bushings. Nothing! Right now I have the aftermarket Ford adjustable bushings in with two big washers to compress them as per advice from some folks. NO CURE! It’s been on the frame alignment at the dealer and everything checks out. I have been fighting this for almost 2 years now. Sometimes for a moment the vibration will go away which still leads me to the bearings or wheels but nothing. Could the engine mounts or transmission mounts be causing this problem. SOMEBODY…. PLEASE HELP……!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I myself had a horible vibration after installing a 5.5" Superlift lift. The solution I got from the shop that I purchased the lift from was to get a CV Driveshaft. Well After installing this bad boy I said WOW! it really works! I was also told that any driveshaft angle over 8 degrees will give you a nasty vibration sound. This is due to the U-Joints binding against themselfs.

------------------
Ryan Penner
1992 Explorer Sport

update on my original vibration problem: my Exp already had the fact.mod. for vibrations installed about 3 years ago, with mixed results.This past month I shimmed the axle at the spring perches to get less then 2 degreesdifference in pinion and transfer case output shaft angles(this helped a lot).Then I switched to Warn manual hubs with their superior bearing adjustment method.This made a lot of improvement. The Ford bearing adj.
method sucks(it's either too loose or too tight-either way causes a bad vib.) what vib is left I blame my open tread tires for. I've
re-checked u joints, pinion and xfer case output bearings, tire balance and trueness.
Like I said, this vehicle had some vibes before the lift install and is now nearly back to that level. Ford should have made a CV type drive shaft as OE equipment. That is my next step.
Just returned from a 2500 mile trip to Mont. & Idaho, including lots of miles on some really great roads (found some snow in JULY!) with no lift related problems. I went around a rechecked all the fasteners on the lift kit several times prior to the trip until torques on all fasteners had stabilized (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!)

[This message has been edited by Exploderman (edited 07-24-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Exploderman (edited 07-24-1999).]

Back