driver window won't go down

92302expo

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lufkin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Expo xlt 4x4 5.0
I did something similar to the JB weld fix (used gorilla glue instead) on all 4 windows, now all work except for the drivers window, it'll go down about an inch and then stop, any suggestions on how to fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the lack of replies is because nobody knows what "JB weld fix you are referring to"

must have gotten it in the window track, and now it won't go past it,, have to take off the panel and find out, clean it out

Siguaw i don't remember where, but somewhere i saw that instead of replacing the bushings you use jb weld. Corkey i had the gear out of motor while the glue cured and then trimmed the exses off and then reassembled it.

I fixed mine with WD-40

forgot to mention i completely lubed up the window tracks, guides and so on.

If the window motor works, check the gear on the motor to see if it's stripped which could cause the window to stop. We carry repair parts for the window motor on our website. Here's a link to it in-case you find that you need to replace a broken part. Ford Explorer Window Motor Regulator Parts

soon2bexplorer2,

I think the problem is you're getting too much resistance and the auto-down module is shutting the power off.
If I understand correct, that's what it's designed to do - when the window gets to the bottom, the increase in resistance is what stops it.

Something is binding or rubbing and causing it to stop.
When it's cold outside, I have trouble like that in both of mine. I just have to keep hitting the button over and over until it works past the point where it keeps stopping.

Hope that helps!

I decided to take the window motor out today to completely rebuild it, but when I took the cover off I found that it was just slipping, so I got all the glue out then started to dig around in my tool box and found some 7/16 nuts and put them in, and reassembled and installed it and BINGO it works.

Those window motors are JUNK! Surprised if you don't need all four. Mine does, 160k miles.......

If the window motor works, check the gear on the motor to see if it's stripped which could cause the window to stop. We carry repair parts for the window motor on our website. Here's a link to it in-case you find that you need to replace a broken part. Ford Explorer Window Motor Regulator Parts

That's a good price for both sides for everything. I will have to keep this in mind for later cause I need them, but kinda need the truck running first...LOL

Back