• Register Today It's free!

Door IA Handle not Operable

Barry Trobaugh

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Platinum
2018 Explorer Platinum that has been without issue for 58K. Went to open the passenger door (which was locked) using the "grab method" and it did not work. I pulled out my fob and it unlocked as usual. Got my jacket out, shut the door and touched the square to lock the door. This did not work to lock the door. I locked the door with the fob with success,

I then moved to the driver's door, grabbed the handle and it unlocked. I then touched the square and it locked. Each as intended.

So, my passenger front door does not recognize the IA via the handle. I have searched the web for the issue and it does seem to happen to others and sadly without a fix. Several seemed to have taken the ride back to the dealer, parts and updates were installed but did not permanently resolve the issue. Some blame it on a failing battery (we all know that crazy things happen to our Explorers when the battery gives up) but the success-rate is still small or questionable.

Has anyone had this issue and found a resolve?

Thanks ahead

Hi Barry. I had that issue once with the driver's door. Tried it multiple times without any success. Went inside and made an appointment to take the vehicle in and then came back outside and tried it again and it worked. Canceled the appointment and it had worked ever since. No clue as to what the issue may have been. I would think a failing battery would result in other issues other than just the lock/unlock on one door.

Peter

Hi Barry. I had that issue once with the driver's door. Tried it multiple times without any success. Went inside and made an appointment to take the vehicle in and then came back outside and tried it again and it worked. Canceled the appointment and it had worked ever since. No clue as to what the issue may have been. I would think a failing battery would result in other issues other than just the lock/unlock on one door.

Peter
UPDATE:

Drove the Ex out of town for about 3 hours during which the battery reached its maximum charge. Now the door-handle functions (and everything else) is back to normal operation. Just like my C5 Corvette, battery voltage and condition are critical to the operation of the CPU. My battery is about 3 yrs old and has "survived" a hot summer in the Memphis area and most recently -3° this past December. I guess it is time to get another.

Glad to see it is fixed, for now. The only thing a low battery has done to me is to prevent the doors from being looked via the 'lock' symbol on the keypad. BTW, it happened again yesterday. It hasn't prevented me from being able to open the door by using the handle. It could also be that yours cleared up like mine for no reason. Put the battery charger on this morning and that should fix it for a couple more months.

Peter

Back