Drivers door, key chime doesn't work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivers door, key chime doesn't work

KajunBndit

Reaction score
City, State
Theriot, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004ExplorerSportTrac XLT
I know this had been asked a lot. I have read the threads, checking to see if it may help me to fix my issue. When the key is in the ignition, off and door is open, I think it should chime, when I open drivers side door, no interior lights, when the headlight is left on after you pull the key out off the ignition, when you open the door, I think it should chime. Mine doesn't and I don't know where to look for this chime or anything. If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it greatly, I had to change my battery out this morning. The batter is dead because I left the light on. Pictures helps me a lot, thank you. 2004 Sport Trac XLT model

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like you have a bad driver side door actuator switch. The switch is a pressdown button that closes when you close your driver side door and they go bad often. The symptom they give is a door ajar light on the car and the interior lights stay on after you take out the key and close the doors. It will also drain the battery because of the lights staying on. Also if you have an alarm it will go off once in a while becuase it thinks the door is open. If you have these type of symptoms that's your problem.

There are no door ajar doors, and the lights never come on when you open the drivers side door. Thank you!

Lots of people don't like the chime, maybe a previous owner "fixed" it?

RangerX, it could be possible, but I want the chime especially when I get out of my truck forgetting to turn my headlight off. swshawaii, thank you for the tip. I will check it out in the morning but I don't think it will fix all the issues with the chime. like leaving the headlight on when the key is out of the ignition, but thank you for steering me in a direction!!!

^ Repeat. I bet your driver's door ajar switch pin is stuck closed. ;) LOL
Key-in-ignition warning chime: Sounds when the key is left in the ignition in the OFF/LOCK or ACCESSORY position and the driver’s door is opened.
Headlamps on warning chime: Sounds when the headlamps or parking lamps are on, the ignition is off (the key is not in the ignition) and the driver’s door is opened.
Page 13
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/04p27og3e.pdf

I will check in the morning swshawaii, but my chime is not working which I wish it would. LOLOL Got my WD-40 by the door!

Ok, ncranchero suggested I spray the lock mech, and to slam the door, I have done that many times, nothing. I had taken the door panel off and started shaking the wire harness as much as I could, even the wires going through the door to the pillar, nothing. Next I had unscrewed the locking mech but a rivet had stopped me @ that point, I will be getting a bolt and nut tomorrow to completely take it out, but I did manage to take the door jamb out, I think that the name of that piece. I cleaned it up and sanded the ground bit and also the ground wire. I managed to get the wire unplugged from the actuator. I had watched several youtube videos which I though were great. I had taken a paper clip to the plug from the actuator to complete a ground loop, door closed. I pulled the clip out to resemble door open, nothing. I will one day fix this mess or it's going to kill me. I would hate to change all kinds of sensors and still have the same problems. The actuator works because the drivers door locks and unlocks.

This is what I had taken off the door mech, I cleaned it good and sanded the ground.

Attachments

• DS850photo primary__ra_p.jpg
    DS850photo primary__ra_p.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 444

I think you're correct and don't believe the issue is isolated to only the driver's door. I left the key in the ignition, opened the front passenger door, and the chime sounded. Do you have ANY audible chimes? I'm not convinced there is only one warning chime because the tone and speed sounds different for door ajar, seat belts, headlights, and ignition key. I've read about the GEM module being a possibility, but those threads dead ended. Did you see this thread?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137843&highlight=chime+key

I just read the thread swshawaii, thank you, it is something else I will look into tomorrow. I would hate to change the multifunction relay module and it may not do anything. The only thing that chimes is when I don't put my seatbelt on before I leave my driveway. I doesn't chime when you first start the truck up. doesn't chime if you leave your headlight on when key is taken out, and doesn't chime if the key is in the off position when the door is open.
There is no dome light when you open the drivers door, no door ajar either.
If I could afford one of those high faluten scanners to scan the G.E.M, I would get one.I don't even know what model to look for. Where is the G.E.M located, I think I had read in the instrument cluster.

Can anyone tell me what this orange and blue thing are and what it's function is. Thank you for all of your help!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0862.jpg
    IMG_0862.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 724
  • IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg