• Register Today It's free!

Driver's mirror wind whistle

Azazell64

Reaction score
City, State
Saskatchewan, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
So I finally had the opportunity to crack the window yesterday while driving. Does anybody else have a horrific wind whistle coming from the driver's mirror while driving at 35-40mph? To ensure my findings, I folded the mirror in for a few seconds and retested and the noise went away, opened it back up and the noise reappeared. It's not slight, it is quite loud, just wondering if anyone else has had this and if so how did you fix it?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I finally had the opportunity to crack the window yesterday while driving. Does anybody else have a horrific wind whistle coming from the driver's mirror while driving at 35-40mph? To ensure my findings, I folded the mirror in for a few seconds and retested and the noise went away, opened it back up and the noise reappeared. It's not slight, it is quite loud, just wondering if anyone else has had this and if so how did you fix it?

Thanks.

Hi Azazell64,

This sounds like something to mention to your dealership the next time you're there. You can also reach out to my colleagues at Ford Canada so they can assist; they can be reached at 1-800-565-3673.

Crystal

Thanks.
I don't believe that this has been an issue so far. The mirrors were designed to eliminate wind noise. Have you looked at it closely to ensure that something hasn't come loose or popped out of position?

Peter

my driver's side mirror whistles VERY loudly at any speed over 5 mph... on the freeway it can be heard even with the windows up. only on drivers side too...passenger side is quiet. I havent had a chance to take it to my dealer yet.

I also folded the mirrors in to make sure that was the culprit, and sure enough

Excellent, well now I know that I am not the only one with this issue. It is fairly annoying not being able to enjoy any engine/exhaust sound due to the volume of the whistle.

Excellent, well now I know that I am not the only one with this issue. It is fairly annoying not being able to enjoy any engine/exhaust sound due to the volume of the whistle.
Does the Sport produce exhaust sound? My Limited doesn't. Everything is nice and quiet.

Peter

With a Magnaflow catback it does ;)

Well.... Looks like I have the whistling issue.

Has anyone got this taken care of by the dealership?

Is the fix a new mirror?

I am bringing it into the dealership tomorrow.

2014 x sport and my driver's side mirror whistles too, let us know what the dealership says

2014 x sport and my driver's side mirror whistles too, let us know what the dealership says
Bet it doesn't whistle as well as Roger Whittaker. Welcome to the Forum Kato824.:wavey:

Peter

I am bringing it into the dealership tomorrow.

2014 x sport and my driver's side mirror whistles too...

I want to get this into the hands of your regional customer service managers, LIrican and Kato8214. Since we've been in touch before, LIrican, all I'll need from you is a PM with your current mileage and confirmation of you best daytime phone number. Kato8214: I'll need a PM from you with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Ok, just left dealership.

After some miscommunication about when the sound was happening we went for a ride.

Windows down with mirror in and out and the technician heard the whistle.

I was told an email would be sent to Ford and we would have to wait for a response with next steps.

Nothing visible between the 2 mirrors that the tech could see. I do appreciate the ride along and willingness to take the time. The service department at Koons has been solid for the most part glad they take the time to help come to a solution.

Now I hope that Ford and the dealership can come to a quick resolution so I can enjoy my truck with the windows down.

Crystal I will PM you.

I just heard the whistling driver’s mirror for the first time as well. Opened the windows the other day since it was nice out and heard it. Happens around 30-40mph(give or take a few) and goes away once you get much above about 55mph. Not loud enough to hear with windows up, but annoying with them down. I have a couple other issues for the dealer to look at, so this will be added to the list.

Whistling Mirrors

I wonder if it the plastic signal light lens insert that may be causing this whistling. Has anyone tried taping or covering it and then trying it again to see if the noise is still there? There really doesn't seem to be much else that would cause it.

Peter

Peter,

I may try a couple of things today.

Signal light cover
Puddle light

Listening to it I feel like the air is squeezing through the seams.

Looking at my two mirrors it looks like the driver side's weather strip is a bit off. I'll try to take some pics.

Has anyone googled the issue?

I found it happening with the Focus and F150 as well.

New to forum and noticed these posts. Just picked up new 2014 Explorer Sport. Same whistle. Put a piece of painters tape across the horizontal crack in forward facing portion of mirror and whistling stopped.

I do not want to block this area with any type of rubber (like you use for rescreening a door) which may bind the folding. Still looking, but there is an issue

I've noticed this since I bought my explorer, but I guess the annoyance level to me is much less and it's not super loud, but as soon as I point it out to anyone they notice it too. Mine seems to be the little gap where the mirror pivots. if you put your finger on that gap it's enough to stop the whistling.

Just a heads up. Aftermarket vent shades will also add wind noise to your ride. I have the ones which are 3m taped around the window-not wedged in place. It isnt crazy annoying but the vent shades did add to the noise as compared to when I did not have them installed. Not sure if its the front or rear ones that make the most racket. I still like em, so they are staying in place.

Buzz

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No vent shades here.

It does appear it's the "gap" that allows the mirror to pivot.

I was thinking of trying a vinyl strip but I close my mirrors a lot when parking.

Back