Wind noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wind noise

Fish4five

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
My wife was driving in very high wind (35 to 40) mph gust on the interstate and said that she was getting a (wind) noise from the dash area and some vibrations. I wasn't with her so I'm going from her description. On he way home there wasn't the high winds and she hasn't had it do it since. Anyone experience this?

BTW it's a 13' Sport.

My wife was driving in very high wind (35 to 40) mph gust on the interstate and said that she was getting a (wind) noise from the dash area and some vibrations. I wasn't with her so I'm going from her description. On he way home there wasn't the high winds and she hasn't had it do it since. Anyone experience this?

BTW it's a 13' Sport.
If you do a `search` on this topic you will find several threads about it. Here are a couple of the shorter ones;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384686&highlight=wind+noise

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382507&highlight=wind+noise

I suspect it may be a loose cowl if it sounds like it is coming from the dash.
Good luck.

Peter

This doesnt seem to be what she was describing, I need to try and hear this for myself to determine what she was expereincing. Thanks for the response though.

I have a 2013 XLT Explorer. I have only had it about a month. It has about 500 miles. Today I brought it out on the expressway for the first time and the wind noise was so loud. I had all windows closed and as soon as I reached 55 mph, it was awful. I thought for sure I had a plastic bag or something stuck under my car. When I reached home, I checked underneath & there was nothing there. I also checked under the hood & nothing. This is my 4th Explorer, the one I just turned in was a 2011 with the same body style. Never had a wind problem (many other problems, but not wind noise). I guess I will have to take it back to the dealer on Tuesday.

Back