Driver's mirror wind whistle | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver's mirror wind whistle

Now that weather is nice i am opening window more and i have the whistle as well...will try some tape on front crack for now as i think that's where it's coming from

Edit: The black electrical tape i used worked. It eliminated the whistle so now at least i know where it's coming from

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does FordService still use these forums? My Dealer just told me that since they can't hear the mirror whistle with the window up it isn't a warrantable issue. I tried PM'ing them but haven't heard back yet...

(I realize this thread is a bit old, but still having this issue...)

Does FordService still use these forums? My Dealer just told me that since they can't hear the mirror whistle with the window up it isn't a warrantable issue. I tried PM'ing them but haven't heard back yet...

They do. I posted in a thread about delivery confirmation, since I was not happy with the lack of information I was getting form my dealer, and PM'ed Ford Service CA (Canada). Within a day Ford Service (USA) got in touch from seeing the post and that very afternoon got back to me with the info I was looking for. A day later Ford Service (Canada) got in touch as well in response to my PM. So give it a day or two, but yes, they're not only here but they're GREAT!

Hey automobiliben,

Thank you for the PM! I sent you a response.

They do. I posted in a thread about delivery confirmation, since I was not happy with the lack of information I was getting form my dealer, and PM'ed Ford Service CA (Canada). Within a day Ford Service (USA) got in touch from seeing the post and that very afternoon got back to me with the info I was looking for. A day later Ford Service (Canada) got in touch as well in response to my PM. So give it a day or two, but yes, they're not only here but they're GREAT!
Thank you for the mention and kind words, RCWestcott!!

Deysha

I suggest you live with it, as the repair attempt will consist of two options.
#1 - replacing with a new mirror and hope the gap between the cap and mirror is small enough not to generate the whistling.
#2 - fill the gap with a silicone and it will look ugly
Above two were performed on a member's vehicle and he ended up with option#2 as the new mirror was also whistling.

So I finally had the opportunity to crack the window yesterday while driving. Does anybody else have a horrific wind whistle coming from the driver's mirror while driving at 35-40mph? To ensure my findings, I folded the mirror in for a few seconds and retested and the noise went away, opened it back up and the noise reappeared. It's not slight, it is quite loud, just wondering if anyone else has had this and if so how did you fix it?

Thanks.
Yes I have the same problem at 36mph like clock work if I go 34 it's not there and if I go 38 it goes away. It whistle wind sound at 36mph on 2020 for explorer limited I will try the closing the mirror idea like you mentioned and see what happens.. if that is the problem what is the fix? It's loud inside the cab. Please any help would be appreciated

Yes I have the same problem at 36mph like clock work if I go 34 it's not there and if I go 38 it goes away. It whistle wind sound at 36mph on 2020 for explorer limited I will try the closing the mirror idea like you mentioned and see what happens.. if that is the problem what is the fix? It's loud inside the cab. Please any help would be appreciated
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I believe the only "fix" is to have the mirror replaced like others have had done. Otherwise don't drive at exactly 36 mph. ;)

Peter

My 2013 has done this since we purchased with 20k miles on it...anything over about 30mph. We just lived with it

Back