Driver's mirror wind whistle | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver's mirror wind whistle

Haven't noticed any whistles from mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a crude test by sticking my hand out around the mirror at different locations and it seems to be coming from the joint between the folding part and the part that's bolted tovthe door(if that makes sende)

I tried ours the other day at start to 50 mph, into wind and cross wind. various directions and speeds. Bottom line did not hear anything strange. At least no whistles.

This is such a wonderful vehicle, how could I be so lucky to own it! .......Plum

Update:

Nothing from dealership yet and nothing from Ford customer service.

I have the whistle as well on my 14 Sport. It goes away with mirrors folded in, come back at normal position... lame!

I have an existing appointment for ridealong tomorrow at Hilltop Ford to have them look the "exhaust fume smell" after hard acceleration and the chipped sport wheels.. I'll add this to the list to have them document. Pretty easy to duplicate...

I find it very telling it's only the driver's side for everyone that is having the problem.

I hope Ford jumps on this killing my windows down cruising.

Guess I will toss my hat in here as well, my Driver's side mirror whistles as well, same as everybody is describing.

Update:

Nothing from dealership yet and nothing from Ford customer service.

Reach out to me if you don't get a call by the end of the day today, LIrican; I'll be happy to contact your CSM for you.

I have the whistle as well on my 14 Sport. It goes away with mirrors folded in, come back at normal position...

Guess I will toss my hat in here as well, my Driver's side mirror whistles as well, same as everybody is describing.

Send me your information in a PM, CalifLove and automobiliben; I'll get this moved up the line to your regional customer service managers. In your message, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Crystal

Crystal- is there anything you can share on a "fix"?

My dealership said 24-48 hours on Thursday and I haven't hear anything.

It seems like we all have the problem with the 14 Sport.

My 12 Limited did not have the issue.

Crystal- is there anything you can share on a "fix"?...

Hi LIrican,

I'm not a technician, so I don't have access to repair guides or procedures. Your dealership's service manager is the best resource for those kinds of questions.

Crystal

Still nothing from dealership other than they are waiting to hear from Ford.

How long does it take for the dealerships service department to hear back from Ford?

Anyone have any results from the dealership on this?

I'm still waiting for a call back from Ford Engineering to the service manager.

Received an email from the dealership.

Ford Engineering has asked for the mirror to be replaced.

Dealership is ordering parts and will let me know when it arrives.

Thanks

I have been having the same problem. Let me know what the outcome is. Its so annoying to drive down the road and hear whistling.

Has anyone else taken their truck in to the dealership?

Is it all on 2014's?

Here is my update:

Dealership contacted me and said Ford requested that the Sideview mirror be replaced. I was told the part was ordered and now I'm waiting.

Ford Customer Service contacted me and was told that the dealership was waiting to drive a "like" vehicle in order to duplicate the sound. I'm not sure where this test went but if they drove a sport and heard it maybe they are figuring out its a larger problem then just my vehicle.

Stupid me, I forgot to mention this when I was at the dealer the other day getting other things looked at. Funny, I thought about it on the way there but could not reproduce it, then just today on the way in to work with window down I heard it. Seems to depend on wind direction but most typically happens (so far as I can tell) around 30-40 mph, though I did hear it steadily for a few minutes on the freeway doing around 70... I fear its going to be one of those things that I take in and can't reproduce... I'll try next time I go once there is movement on my burnt smell issue.

I have been having the same problem. Let me know what the outcome is. Its so annoying to drive down the road and hear whistling.

Hi amcberetta,

I want to offer you the same assistance that I have to others. To get things moving in the right direction, PM me your information including your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll take it from there. :)

Crystal

Sadly, I too have the whistle. Driver side only and it goes away with the mirrors closed. If I tape the crack it goes away.... :(

Anyone get this fixed yet?

Sadly, I too have the whistle. Driver side only and it goes away with the mirrors closed. If I tape the crack it goes away.... :(

Anyone get this fixed yet?

Waiting on the new mirror going on day 5 tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Waiting on the new mirror going on day 5 tomorrow.
I'd be very curious to see how replacing a part with an identical part would solve the issue. Not saying it won't, it just doesn't seem logical. :scratch:
I hope it does work for everyone with this issue. We already have enough vehicles 'whistling' down our highways.;)

Peter

Back