Driver's mirror wind whistle | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver's mirror wind whistle

I also have Ford Customer Service on it as well. I have been working with Allison from the Washington DC metro area she has been very helpful thus far. I will post updates when they are available.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's my area as welll not sure if I worked with Allison though.

Are you in the area?

Update for me. My issue was two fold. 1st my mirror was whistling made adjustments to correct that. 2nd whistle I had was the weather stripping. That has been replaced and all is well. However, since they only made an ''adjustment" to the mirror I need to keep an eye out and see if it starts again.

Do you have details on what adjustment was made?

I heard something slight today might be the weatherstripping.

The weatherstripping was completely replaced. The dealer had to special order it and have it sent via Fed Ex. The best way to describe the noise is whistling threw your teeth. This was with the windows up.

For the mirror itself it almost had the same type of sound, but obviously with the window down. Looking at the paperwork it says and I quote "Made adjustment to the cowl sheet metal per service bulletin" that's all it says. Not that it matters it started to make the same noise this past weekend. Not sure if there is some other underlying issue with mirror. My Service Adviser called me this morning to see how everything was, and I said that the mirror noise stopped than started again. So long story short next time I go in for an oil change I will have the mirror looked at again, and hopefully put this issue to bed!

Thanks, it feels like mine is creeping back.

Air is definitely passing through the mirror but I'm not hearing a "whistle" yet.

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport and definately have the whistle on the driver's side as well. I hae not heard it yet from the passenger side, but I have not really sat on that side with the window open.

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport and definately have the whistle on the driver's side as well. I hae not heard it yet from the passenger side, but I have not really sat on that side with the window open.

Bring this to the attention of your dealer so they can help, lbendor; be sure to come back and post your results. How many miles do you have on your Explorer?

Crystal

My drivers mirror also "whistles". Can't hear it with the window down but it is very audible with the window open even at lower speeds. Folding the mirror in stops it. Not the worst thing to worry about because everything else on our new Explorer is perfect but I wonder what kind of "adjustment" can be made to reduce the whistle.

I'm also having issues with whistling/wind noise. I did notice my door seals were flattened in some areas. I attached some pics. I haven't had a chance to take it to the dealer yet,wanted to get opinions from fellow explorers first.

Front door flattened seal
photo%201.JPG

Front door normal seal
photo%203.JPG

Rear door flattened seal
photo%202.JPG

Rear door normal seal
photo%204.JPG

Reach out to me if you don't get a call by the end of the day today, LIrican; I'll be happy to contact your CSM for you.

Send me your information in a PM, CalifLove and automobiliben; I'll get this moved up the line to your regional customer service managers. In your message, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Crystal

So I got the car back today after leaving it at the dealership all last week while I was on vacation. I asked them to look into the whistle. Apparently they did a road test and now state that it is normal.

I'm not sure how much I am going to let this issue bother me at present but its definitely disappointing as it is pretty annoying to cruise down the street with the windows down on a nice day and be subjected to a constant whistle... I just don't have time to schedule multiple visits to the dealer for this. On top of that, I have the more pressing and urgent matter of that annoying exhaust/burning/epoxy/whatever the hell you want to call it - smell going on that I really want to get fixed...that is starting to be a deal breaker for me....

...I'm not sure how much I am going to let this issue bother me at present but its definitely disappointing as it is pretty annoying to cruise down the street with the windows down on a nice day and be subjected to a constant whistle...

I understand, CalifLove. If you'd like to return to your dealership or go to a different dealer for a second opinion, let me know and I'll have your regional customer service manager follow up with you.

Crystal

My drivers side mirror begins to whistle at about 35mph. I put pieces of painters tape to cover the horizontal and vertical gaps on front side of the mirror and the whistle was gone. Then I removed sections of the tape and discovered that only a small 1/2" piece of tape placed right where the horizontal gap begins to turn upwards was needed to silence the whistle. I wonder if some kind of adjustment can be made to the mirror to lessen that gap and eliminate the whistle.

Update: I finally needed my 1st oil change, and when I was at the dealership I brought up the whistling sound again. The tech confirmed the noise. Under warranty the mirror was replaced, the noise is gone. Unfortunately the mirror is not painted and I have to return next week to have that last step completed.

Update: I finally needed my 1st oil change, and when I was at the dealership I brought up the whistling sound again. The tech confirmed the noise. Under warranty the mirror was replaced, the noise is gone. Unfortunately the mirror is not painted and I have to return next week to have that last step completed.

I'm glad your dealership is getting this taken care of for you, amcberetta. Let us know how things go next week and give me a shout if I can do anything to help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Took delivery of my '14 Limited today, and a few hours later noticed my drivers side mirror whistles. I'll listen for it some more, and then call the dealership. I was driving around 40 MPH with both the front windows down and there were some strong cross winds.

Took delivery of my '14 Limited today, and a few hours later noticed my drivers side mirror whistles. I'll listen for it some more, and then call the dealership...

Welcome to the forum, ford_ever. If you decide to go to your dealership, let me know and I'll get your regional customer service manager involved. To make that happen, send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Crystal

Thank you Crystal. I drove today at various speeds from City driving to Freeway speeds of 70 MPH and didn't hear a whistle once. So I'll keep an ear out, and if it happens again, I'll be sure to PM you the details. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you Crystal. I drove today at various speeds from City driving to Freeway speeds of 70 MPH and didn't hear a whistle once. So I'll keep an ear out, and if it happens again, I'll be sure to PM you the details. Thanks!

Sounds good, ford_ever; I'll be here if you need any help in the future. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Back