Drivers side headlight

SkanlaxJMO

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Ok my drivers side headlight is not working on the low beam.....so i searched around i I kept hearing about the LOM. but I think that was for x's with a message center....mine does not have one. Also since i lost my owners manual could somone tell me the fuse # for the drivers side low beam?

BTW i am running euro degsigns(96 xlt).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOM
Lamp out module is located under the lip of the center console on the passenger side just about under the oil change reset. Wiggle the connector and your lights will probably start to function temporarily to verify that is it.. If you take the module out, Ford wants $600 to fix this, you will find it is a printed circuit board. With a magnifying glass you will probably find hairline fractures in the solder joints also known as cold solder joints along a line where the connector is soldered in. I was able to completely repair mine by resoldering those six, I think, connectors. I had to use two magnifying glasses, sometimes trifocals don’t get you there, but it is doable and you will save at least $600.
I think the fuse for this is in the cabin fuse block try #4.

my LOM did the same thing so i bought a new one from ford dealer and it only cost me $75

Papa said:
LOM
Lamp out module is located under the lip of the center console on the passenger side just about under the oil change reset. ....

....I had to use two magnifying glasses, sometimes trifocals don’t get you there, but it is doable and you will save at least $600.
I think the fuse for this is in the cabin fuse block try #4.

Looks like you need some new trifocals:

I kept hearing about the LOM. but I think that was for x's with a message center....mine does not have one.

However, you are correct about the fuse. Left is #4, right is #8.

gijoecam said:
However, you are correct about the fuse. Left is #4, right is #8.
im going to tear the center consol aprt later to see if i have a LOM.....im also going to check the fuse...what iment by mine does not have one is that i do not have a message center.

If you had the LOM, you'd know it. It's included if and only if you have a message center in the center console. It mounts in front of the cup holders, below the HVAC controls. If you have the two little cubby-holes there, you have no message center and, therefore, no LOM.

-Joe

yeah i looked just for the hell of it...no LOM.....and the #4 fuse appears to be fine.....it turned out to be the bulb....BUT here is were it gets screwey.....i put my stocker back on the harness but did not put it into the housing to see if it worked....when i turned the headlamp switch it flashed really quick then it went out.....so i put the other on on and tried to get it in the housing and i couldnt get the damn thing in. Any tips?.....but with it sorta in i tried it agian but only the high beam works. The cursois thing is that the #4 fuse appears to be fine.

i have just confiremed it is not the fuse.....arrrg this is really frustrating

trouble shooting with only a light can only take you so far. You need to use a meter and check pins to see if you have voltage on them.

I'd bet $20 that it's the headlight plug, probably the center pin is melted and/or corroded to hell :)

I just had the same issue with my 99 Ex...

well i guess you owe me 20 :D .....it was a bad bulb....orr errr 3 of them

3 bad bulbs at once?.... man.... never would have guessed.

Hey my left side high beam is very dim hardly on. I replaced the bulbs with new ones and still have the same problem. When I pull the lever for the high brights just the right one works and the left is very dim. I have changed the multiswitch ,no luck.
I don't have a message center so I dont think I have an LOM & all my fuses are ok.
What else could it be?

Back