Driver's side power lock not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver's side power lock not working

Am_Dew

Reaction score
City, State
Somehere in Northern CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Limited
I've got a 2005 Explorer XLT. Recently, I discovered that my driver's side power lock is not working, or at best is intermittent. Manually locking and unlocking the door works fine. If I toggle the lock button (on the driver's side arm rest) between locked and unlocked a bunch of times, sometimes that will work, but only rarely. I can see the manual lock on the door sometimes trying to move...it's almost as if it is getting stuck or just does not have enough juice to activate.

I only by accident realized what was going on by attempting to open the driver's side door before I hit the button the key FOB and found the door unlocked. This got me to doing some testing.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you ever find a solution for this problem? Mine does the same exact thing and is very annoying. Let me know?

I don't think it's an electrical issue as much as a mechanical issue, but I could be wrong.

The lock button on the door moves a little when you hit the power lock button to "open". It just doesn't move enough to open the lock. I have to press it the rest of the way manually in order for the door to unlock. Same when locking it. Press the power lock, the switch moves a little, but not all the way. Oh and then if you keep trying, the locks all stop opening or closing at all. Is that a safety feature to save the battery or does it sound like trouble?

Did you ever find a solution for this problem? Mine does the same exact thing and is very annoying. Let me know?

I have not found a solution to this.

My lock button no longer moves at all. From what I've read elsewhere, the lock's actuator is probably bad and would need to be replaced, which I'm not willing to mess with. I'm getting in the habit of manually locking the door before I get out and unlocking it with the key.

It's actually the rear passenger door, so I do not have the key option to lock and I have to remind anyone exiting that door to check and make sure it's locked after they get out and close the door. Very annoying indeed!:mad:

I've got a 2005 Explorer XLT. Recently, I discovered that my driver's side power lock is not working, or at best is intermittent. Manually locking and unlocking the door works fine. If I toggle the lock button (on the driver's side arm rest) between locked and unlocked a bunch of times, sometimes that will work, but only rarely. I can see the manual lock on the door sometimes trying to move...it's almost as if it is getting stuck or just does not have enough juice to activate.

I only by accident realized what was going on by attempting to open the driver's side door before I hit the button the key FOB and found the door unlocked. This got me to doing some testing.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Sounds like the actuator is broken. I had the same problem fixed about 30 days ago, same symptoms.

Actuator was about $52 and labor to install was $78.

Works fine now.

Sounds like the actuator is broken. I had the same problem fixed about 30 days ago, same symptoms.

Actuator was about $52 and labor to install was $78.

Works fine now.

Did you get it fixed at a Ford dealer or someone else? Seems too cheap for a Ford dealer.

Did you get it fixed at a Ford dealer or someone else? Seems too cheap for a Ford dealer.

Local shop here in the Seattle area. Ford I am guessing would have charged about $300-400

I got my actuator straight from silverstatefordparts.com for $34.16 (part) and $12.95 (S+H) for a total of $47.11. Now All I have to do is install it. For my particular year
(2002), Ford changed the part manufactuer midyear and they used a different plug. I may or may not be in luck and have the correct plug. If not, I will need an adapter, which is another $38. Still much cheaper overall than buying everything from the dealer and having them install it. Will keep all posted.

Success!!!!!!!! The actuator worked like a charm. I can get in and out of my car without manually having to do it. Such a relief, thanks to all who posted links to the dealer online!

My passengers side does the same. I may need one too.
STU

Success!!!!!!!! The actuator worked like a charm. I can get in and out of my car without manually having to do it. Such a relief, thanks to all who posted links to the dealer online!

Awesome. How hard of a job is it to remove the door panel and the install the new actuator?

Back