Driving Position

dco43054

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 XLT
One major difference for me between the old and new Explorer is the driving position. It was by far the biggest unknown to loving the new design.

It is certainly different than the old one. The dead pedal beside the brake precludes stretching out your left leg. When I was up at the Detroit Auto Show, one guy said he would never buy a new Explorer because he couldn't fit his foot in between the dead pedal and the brake.

After driving the new one for a couple weeks, I have to admit that while I like the ability to stretch out a little more that the old Explorers offer, the new one isnt' bad. Just different, I guess.

Aside from the that, the seating position is comfortable. I have a 202A XLT, so the "leather trimmed" seating surfaces. I've used the seat warmers a couple times and they make the leather comfortable when the ouside temp is cooler.

The controls have almost become second nature. MFT definitely has a learning curve.

My biggest disappointment is that with the slightly wider passenger compartment, I can't rest my elbow on the window sill while driving. :D

So, all in all - it works for me and is becoming moreso each day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2004 ford explorer which is more comfortable to drive than my new limited because the door armrest on the new x is to far away to rest your left arm on. Its hard to get used to not having support for the left arm. What ford needs to do for the 2012 would be to put a folddown armrest on the drivers seat. It looks like there is enough room to have one installed there . That would be a nice ergonomic addition to the vehicle.
I cant believe they did not think of that when they made the cabin so much wider.

I have a 2004 ford explorer which is more comfortable to drive than my new limited because the door armrest on the new x is to far away to rest your left arm on. Its hard to get used to not having support for the left arm. What ford needs to do for the 2012 would be to put a folddown armrest on the drivers seat. It looks like there is enough room to have one installed there . That would be a nice ergonomic addition to the vehicle.
I cant believe they did not think of that when they made the cabin so much wider.

I'm a tall person. I love the huge cabin. Lots of room. That was one of the major selling points for me. My son is 6' + and he loves the passenger seat. He also likes sitting in the third row, believe it or not. I have no problem resting my arm on the window or the arm rest on the door. I agree though. What I really like is the position of the gear shift and middle console. Excellent place to rest your arm and my hand rests perfectly on the gear shift when I'm driving. Love the Ex. It's working like a charm now. Knock on wood. Had a little argument with the Sync lady today, but that was because I was driving down the highway with the moonroof open and all the windows down. Wind was blowing through my hair and I could smell the fresh grass and feel the sunshine on my face. Summers here. :D

"My biggest disappointment is that with the slightly wider passenger compartment, I can't rest my elbow on the window sill while driving."

I had just complained to my wife about that and she asked, "Can you lower your seat?" That helped a lot for me, but there is still a slightly long reach to that arm rest for the left arm.

Overall I am happy!

This is my first American car, and I must say Ford did an amazing job on the fit & finish -- the dash could stand shoulder to shoulder to any German import (Audi, MB, BMW). My usual daily car is a 2010 BMW M3.

I just got my Ex (Limited) last weekend and love it in general. The Ex is meant to replace my wife's 2003 Honda Pilot.

A slight disappointment: even though the 2011 Explorer is a much larger vehicle than the Pilot, it's interior is surprisingly smaller for the passengers.

Here's my ergonomic notes:

1. The second row bench barely fits 3 adults, or 2 kids car booster seats with LATCH attachments leaves little room for a medium build adult in between (forget the seatbelt for the middle seat as it's too narrow for an adult. The 2003 Pilot has at least 5 inches more space in the middle when I have the booster seats latched in.

2. The Third row when folded flat doesn't even offer a full 48" between wheel wells (thus no luck transporting 4x8 sheets from the hardware store). It's about 42". All Pilots have at least 48".

3. I agree the front seating position is comfortable, but the driver's left arm rest is indeed a bit far over, and lower than the center console, so you end up with an uneven shoulder stance if you have both elbows resting. I find I need to lean slightly to the left to rest my arm. The footwell, I agree, blocks your left foot just enough that it isn't as comfortable as it could be, again when you consider the size of the vehicle.

Ford has hit so many great styling notes that these seem like silly design oversights. Hopefully future generations of the Explorer will improve further.

I did read one review that said something like (I'm paraphrasing) "The new 2011 Explorer is larger than previous versions but you could hardly tell that on the inside -- it's hard to tell where all that space went" -- I would concur.

Despite all of these, I really do like this SUV!

I had just complained to my wife about that and she asked, "Can you lower your seat?" That helped a lot for me, but there is still a slightly long reach to that arm rest for the left arm.
:D

I thought of the same thing. But when I first was driving, and pulled up to my mailbox to grab my mail, I felt like I was in a clown car, I was so far down. Same thing for trying to reach over the window sill to get at a bank machine. So I said "DOH!", reached down and grabbed the seat adjuster, raised the seat, and have been much more comfortable since.

I find the spacious cabin to be great. Before the 2011 EX, I was driving a full size Toyota Tundra pick-up, so I was used to a wide cabin. I find my wife's Lexus RX350 to be a little cramped and gives me a back ache on long trips. I find the position of the dead pedal to be the best of any front wheel drive SUV/crossover I have driven. I think ford has done agreat job of engineering the available positions of the steering wheel, seat, and moving pedals. I don't think there are too many mid-sized SUVs that have 48" between the wheel wells and the Pilot is pretty ugly.

It would be nice if the steering wheel was electric and retracted when the car was turned off, but with the seat moving to the rear, I get along just fine.

:D

I felt like I was in a clown car, I was so far down. Same thing for trying to reach over the window sill to get at a bank machine. So I said "DOH!", reached down and grabbed the seat adjuster, raised the seat, and have been much more comfortable since.

LOL- Isn't that it, exactly! I drive an SUV because I like to see over the cars around me. If I get comfortable I might as well put on a Shriner hat. I'd prefer to go with a clown costume but there is no room for the big shoes. :D

My comment to my wife was something about having an upholstery shop make some extensions for the armrests. I have a bad disc in my lower back and can only guess that years of driving while leaning to one side or the other is going to aggravate my disc.

Regarding the 42" width in back, my neighbor and I thought exactly the same thing. He is in the market and needs to be able to haul sheet goods on occasion so the explorer is no longer an option. I was disappointed too- I just assumed it was wide enough.

As to why the left arm is so far from the window/arm rest- I bet it has everything to do with side impact safety. The further away from the impact, the safer you will be.

distance to door

If we all gained an extra 100 lbs, reaching the armrest would be no problem! Enjoy Your Explorer

I hadn't thought about accomodating the American Obesity Craze, maybe safety isn't the reason for the extra room.

OK - so how many other people have just missed the fact that the steering wheel on the stock XLT manually telescopes? It is part of Package 200A which is part of the base XLT package. I don't think I ever read that piece of the website.

Was reading this thread this morning Learned something new

and realized I hadn't been adjusting the telescoping action on the wheel - and I wanted the wheel back to me just another inch or two so I could get the legroom I wanted without having my arms all the way forward.

Just release the lever under the wheel and pull it toward you. ROTFL

It tilts AND telescopes. Just like it says in the manual. :D
Also, some have power adjustable foot pedals (if equipped).

Back