DRL??? Can they be turned off? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DRL??? Can they be turned off?

Is there any chance that the Explorer was originally from Canada. Here the XLT would have had the DRL on the headlights. They would be at a reduced power until the actual headlight comes on. Do you have the Window Sticker for it? You can also check the VIN on Fordetis.com and it will list everything on your Explorer.
https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=7AAEA78E9784B826DBC634162085EE79.fcvas501
Perhaps it will show DRL enabled or something similar. In the top part of the list it should show "Territory". Mine shows CDN. In the list it says; With Daytime Running Lamps

Peter
So I finally got around to checking my vehicle on the link you provided...

Territory: (CDN)
With daytime running lights
Chicago plant build

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I finally got around to checking my vehicle on the link you provided...

Territory: (CDN)
With daytime running lights
Chicago plant build
That explains it then and why the tech could not see a way to turn them off. I don't know if the programming is different in the Canadian models bit it would appear so.

Peter

That explains it then and why the tech could not see a way to turn them off. I don't know if the programming is different in the Canadian models bit it would appear so.

Peter
Thanks peterk9, so what are my options with this new information about my vehicle, can my drls be disabled?

If the OP wants he can PM the VIN and I can tell within 30 minutes if the tehcs have access to it. I believe they should.

If the OP wants he can PM the VIN and I can tell within 30 minutes if the tehcs have access to it. I believe they should.
"OP"? Sorry jmr061, new and still getting use to the forum's terminology and finding my way around. How do I PM you?

Yes the techs have access via IDS...they can either disable them or make them the turn lamps.

Yes the techs have access via IDS...they can either disable them or make them the turn lamps.
After posting my reply in post 14 above, it seems that I read a post where a Canadian member with an XLT had the DRL shifted to the amber lights because he wanted to install HID in the headlamps. I wasn't sure if the IDS option was different for Explorers destined for the Canadian market.

Peter

"OP"? Sorry jmr061, new and still getting use to the forum's terminology and finding my way around. How do I PM you?
"OP" = Original Poster. To send a "PM" (private message) simply click on the posted's name in the margin and a pop-up will appear. Click on "Start a Conversation".

Peter

Can anyone confirm if the dealer can turn off DRL? I have done little searching and I have not found if they for sure can be turned off. Some say that they believe they can turn them off and make the parking amber lights come on for the DRL. Can anyone confirm this??

So can I or can I not turn off ALL lights that are considered DRL on my US version? Our cop cars have no DRLs and since DRLs are not required by law I'd like to turn them off.

When I go to the dealer, do I need to know some tech jargon or can I just ask that any DRLs be disabled via programming?
Thanks

So can I or can I not turn off ALL lights that are considered DRL on my US version? Our cop cars have no DRLs and since DRLs are not required by law I'd like to turn them off.

When I go to the dealer, do I need to know some tech jargon or can I just ask that any DRLs be disabled via programming?
Thanks

They ought to know. Or you could by the adapter, download Forscan, and do it for free yourself.

They ought to know. Or you could by the adapter, download Forscan, and do it for free yourself.

I agree with this. I bought a clone VCX to do some things but it can't do everything like custom tire sizes. I just bought a ELM dongle suggested by another forum member and I'm about to FORscan my car.

Thanks
I believe the video in post #5 answers that since "Daytime Running Lights type" is shown as initially being "None" in the setting. They are configurable according to that video. All they should have to do is hook up their IDS tool and select "None" from what I can tell. Unfortunately not all techs are familiar with this type of programming since several members posted that they had to explain the procedure to them in order to have the DRL turned ON.

Peter

Called my ford dealer. They said they were not sure but would give it a try. They told me it would cost $51 to hook it up to the ids to try

I just got off the phone with my dealer, they were not sure. The service guy talked to one of the techs and he was not sure. They said they would hook it up to the IDS for $51 and give it a try

I just got off the phone with my dealer, they were not sure. The service guy talked to one of the techs and he was not sure. They said they would hook it up to the IDS for $51 and give it a try

Or you can spend $30 and do it yourself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172437231684?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This is the one I bought. With Forscan, I turned on DRLs and remote start. There are plenty of other things that you do with it, as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172437231684?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This is the one I bought. With Forscan, I turned on DRLs and remote start. There are plenty of other things that you do with it, as well.

I assume I need a laptop to do it? Im a bit nervous to get into the programming of the car!!

Is this the same thing?? https://www.amazon.com/OHP-ELMconfi...ords=Forscan+ford&refinements=p_85:2470955011

I'm too much of a luddite to try something like that and worry that if I screw something up the dealer might not like it since it's on warranty. However, my 2013 XLT does not have remote start. Did you have to do anything besides "wake it up" via programming? Did you have to buy new keys with the remote start option? Did it look as if you could turn OFF all DRL? Sorry for all the questions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you go into the (AS BUILT) function for the BCM when you perform FORScan Module Programming, you can save the entire BCM's options to a file before you mess with the menu options in the other screen.

If all goes wrong, just access the (AS BUILT) function again, open the file, and select "Write All."

If you really futz it up, it's not hard to pull As-Built default data from Ford OASIS, though it is very tedious to re-input.

Back