DRL??? Can they be turned off? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DRL??? Can they be turned off?

Yes, a laptop, and at a glance, that cable looks to be the same.

I'm too much of a luddite to try something like that and worry that if I screw something up the dealer might not like it since it's on warranty. However, my 2013 XLT does not have remote start. Did you have to do anything besides "wake it up" via programming? Did you have to buy new keys with the remote start option? Did it look as if you could turn OFF all DRL? Sorry for all the questions.

You do have to get the 5 button keys, get them cut, and then program them, which is super easy if you already have two keys.

http://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2013-ford-explorer-remote-key-3.html

It's all pretty simple with the guides on here. You can turn the DRLs off. Mine were off, but I chose to turn them on. You can move them or shut them off.

As thefranchise713 said, when you first connect it and read the car, Forscan prompts you to save the profile. If you get something wrong, or want to revert back, you simply write the old profile over, and everything goes back to the way it came from the factory.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One thing to keep in mind is that this thread (DRLS ON 13 EXPLORER?) was started asking if DRL could be turned off on a Canadian Explorer. DRL are mandatory here in Canada. Does that make any difference in being able to turn them OFF with Forscan on a vehicle built for this market? Has anyone tried that?
Since the majority of posts were not on that particular issue, I have merged the aforementioned thread with this one.

Peter

One thing to keep in mind is that this thread (DRLS ON 13 EXPLORER?) was started asking if DRL could be turned off on a Canadian Explorer. DRL are mandatory here in Canada. Does that make any difference in being able to turn them OFF with Forscan on a vehicle built for this market? Has anyone tried that?
Since the majority of posts were not on that particular issue, I have merged the aforementioned thread with this one.

Peter

I know there were multiple DRL threads suddenly, so I'm not sure what was where after the merge, but the two people asking at the moment are in the US. I can't speak to whether or not it can be done on vehicles sold in Canada, but, legality aside, I would imagine our vehicles are identical, and it's just a matter of settings when leaving the factory. I'd be surprised if they spent the money to create a completely different set of software for these modules, just for Canada.

I know there were multiple DRL threads suddenly, so I'm not sure what was where after the merge, but the two people asking at the moment are in the US. I can't speak to whether or not it can be done on vehicles sold in Canada, but, legality aside, I would imagine our vehicles are identical, and it's just a matter of settings when leaving the factory. I'd be surprised if they spent the money to create a completely different set of software for these modules, just for Canada.
I was just wondering since the Canadian models do not have the user option to turn DRL OFF if that might also preclude the modification of the settings using Forscan.
I sent a PM to ExMike to see if he was successful in getting the DRL on his imported Canadian model disabled.

Peter

I ordered the cable and it is due to arrive tomorrow, so I will be seeing if I can turn them off tomorrow or sunday and will report back!
Thanks all!

I was just wondering since the Canadian models do not have the user option to turn DRL OFF if that might also preclude the modification of the settings using Forscan.
I sent a PM to ExMike to see if he was successful in getting the DRL on his imported Canadian model disabled.

Peter
ExMike reported that he has not tried to have the DRL disabled and for now is running with headlight switch set to 'Auto' and with the sensor on the dash taped up.

They can be disabled on a Canadian build F-150.

Got my cable yesterday, going to try and disable them today.

Well, with the help of sheltonfilms video, I was able to disable my drl! My HID's arrive tomorrow! Also thanks to Jon M for getting me to try this myself!

I plan to go to the dealer for something else but thought I'd ask them to hook up my Exp and turn off the DRLs. It's a small, country dealership so what precisely should I ask the shop to do in order to disable the DRLs? Thanks, I'm really clueless about this stuff.

I plan to go to the dealer for something else but thought I'd ask them to hook up my Exp and turn off the DRLs. It's a small, country dealership so what precisely should I ask the shop to do in order to disable the DRLs? Thanks, I'm really clueless about this stuff.
They have to hook up their IDS laptop and change the setting for DRL to "disable" if I recall correctly from another post.

Peter

They have to hook up their IDS laptop and change the setting for DRL to "disable" if I recall correctly from another post.

Peter
THANKS

So I have a ‘13 Explorer that has the HID headlights that, once you put the vehicle in gear, it activates the DRL’s which are actually the headlights running at a reduced light output. I really would like to delete the DRL’s from coming on at all. Any options out there? Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

So I have a ‘13 Explorer that has the HID headlights that, once you put the vehicle in gear, it activates the DRL’s which are actually the headlights running at a reduced light output. I really would like to delete the DRL’s from coming on at all. Any options out there? Any direction would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one found with the 'Search' feature. As mentioned, the dealer can turn them OFF and you can also do it using FORScan.

Peter

I don’t think I’m terribly picky, but why would anyone build a vehicle that does not have an option to turn off the DRL’s?

I get the safety point, but with that thinking, maybe cars shouldn’t be able to start unless the seat belt is fastened.

I just want those stupid hid lights to be off when I’m in Drive. Some are saying that dealerships are advising them that it’s impossible to turn them off. I can’t believe that someone in here hasn’t figured a work-around. I’m betting they have. Thanks in advance guys - Rick

I don’t think I’m terribly picky, but why would anyone build a vehicle that does not have an option to turn off the DRL’s?
Easy answer. In certain countries, like Canada, DRL are mandatory by law. On later model Explorers built for the U.S., there is an option to turn them OFF.

Peter

So my model/year doesn’t have the easy way to turn them off I’m guessing. Do you know of anyone on here that has done the work-around? There has to be one. -Rick

So my model/year doesn’t have the easy way to turn them off I’m guessing. Do you know of anyone on here that has done the work-around? There has to be one. -Rick
see my post 54 above that was in response to your initial question and before your other thread was moved here.

Peter

They probably don’t want them easily turned off because they are proven to reduce head on collisions by a fair percentage. I don’t understand why anyone would want LESS visibility, especially with more and more distracted drivers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone. Useful thread. I'm doing an overnight security job and my 'always on whenever the engine is on' Canadian LEDs are a total buzz kill! Has anyone tried wiring a switch? Are they powered by a simple pair of 12v power and ground wires? I guess my other options would be to tape, vinyl, tint or Plasti Dip them possibly?

Back