• Register Today It's free!

Dual Din Units 1996 Explorer

suave6565

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
Does anyone know or recommend a dual din unit for this truck....i dont like the fact of getting a regular single din radio and have a kit to cover the rest of the space...im use to seeing one big giant radio on mine....i was thinking of a dual din with radio/cd/cassette with a remote....sony is not one that im looking at xm or sirius ready feature.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pioneer Makes a good one or a couple of good ones for that matter.

Will it fit???

I dont want change everything just like that....does anyone have one installed in thier truck???

Sorry for the sidetrack, but what does "din" stand for?

DIN stands for Deutsche Industrie Norm, a German standards-setting organization
google my friend, google

and just go to crutchfield's website and they'll tell you which will fit in.

No, dbl-dins will NOT fit without some work. Sorry.

FYI - You have a DIN-and-a-half - not a double.

Check out my sale thread - I have two head units for sale, one with a CD/CASS and the other with just a CASS. Click here

Din and a half??? sorry, im new to this but what does that mean?? will i have problems getting to fit a combo radio that will replace the factory with an aftermarket? i have this huge radio that if i put a regular radio in, it will leave a huge gap....and thats what i don't want...i dont want to use a kit that will cover the rest of the space...i would rather put in a radio that has either CD/Cassette or get a radio that place DVD,CDs with a built in Screen.

Draft,

Thats the setup i want!!!
the only thing i would change, is having the HU that controls the monitor...maybe get one that does everything. Since i have an eddie bauer which comes with an electronic readouts for the gas,temp...miles per gal system check....right in between the passenger and driver i think i may not have a choice but to get a radio that does everything. if it was an XLT than i would consider somthing like that. i've seen a radio called PYLE that has a built in tuner that plays dvd and cds with a 6.3 tft lcd monitor. You say that it needs some work to fit this type of radio???what type of work are we talking about....cutting or adding a few things here and there?

thanks in advance

I don't even understand a word you just said. You got two different stories going, and I really don't feel like writing a novel for both.

But what I WILL comment on, is don't get the Pyle, get something with quality, please.

I have a 1995 explorer and have a pioneer radio 8500 deh and in the same opening have a dvd player, both in the same opening. Double din type setup...
it is very easily done i had to shave the top of the radio bezel very little with a razor knife and it looks amazing...
have the screen down below the ac controls.. Nice setup and my kids loves sitting in the front with me and watching the tv...

Draft,
Sorry for confusing the hell out of you....i guess had so many ideas going through my head while i was typing i didnt realize that i went off on a tagent..my appologies. the link you listed in my car domain,that is the monitor setup that want but with out the extra unit which is pictured on the bottom between the passenger and the driver .i want to fit a monitor big enough to fit the space where the factory radio use to be.
I found a radio in the market that has both monitor and dvd player, basically a unit that does it all.
there were two that i found, a kenwood(6.5 inch monitor) and a plye(6.3 in tft monitor)...both have motorized face to insert dvd and CD's and they both have a tuner built in. with these radio's, there is no need to buy an extra unit to control the tv.
since i have an eddie bauer, i could only work with the space that i have. to many things i have to remove.

As for Davidmmm69 setup, that sounds like a great setup...but what im going for is a dual din, one unit. if you click on drafts link...my car domain, you will see what im talking about and far as the tv is concerned.

Hope this makes sense

WHAT HE HAS IN HIS CARDOMAIN SITE IS MOVING THE WHOLE RADIO SOMEWHERE ELSE ... MY OPINION ON THAT IS THAT THERE IS REALLY NO PLACE TO MOVE THE RADIO AND STILL KEEP IT LOOKING GOOD.. THE RADIO DOWN BELOW JUST DOESN;T LOOK GOOD. BUT IF YOU PUT THE MONITOR THERE IS LOOKS OK BECAUSE IT ISN;T AS BULKY LOOKING AS THE RADIO.
SO YOU WANT TO PUT THE MONITOR WHERE THE RADIO IS???
WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO INSTALL BOTH THE RADIO AND DVD PLAYER IF YOU PUT THE MONITOR THERE???

jUST CURIOUS THAT IS ALL.

David,
i know what you mean......but im using that idea and taking it a step further...by NOT having the tuner another place....i want a radio that comes everything all in one package....like i mentioned before, i can only work with one space that i have.

Theres is one that does everything....i think kenwood may need a tunner for the TV im not sure...but just to give you an idea what the radio looks like.
click on the the link below

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vG2UFbciMIL/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=62700&id=morephotos&i=113DDX7015&pi=6&display=XL#Tab

wow that is one expensive unit...
i thought you meant you wanted to move the radio to put just a screen there. that to me is not a good look. but putting a regular radio of some type and also having a pop out screen in the same place I do like.
the thought of moving the actual radio to another place is just strange to me there is no place to put it to look good as i have seen a few and wow i guess to each his own.
thanks and just opinions of course.

I relocated because I didn't want to spend over a grand on the project, and also, this HU isn't pre-amped, so all that my HU has to produce is clean RCA signals to my amps, alot more of direct power (not using the stock harness) and other things. My future was the Kenwood (but I can get it for so much cheaper), but being a college student... I don't have time for this crap anymore, I'm living with what I got, and I'm fine with that.

Where I relocated the radio works just fine and looks just as good. But then again, it's all preference. Try fabbing that piece... yeah, it's alot more work than you think.

You can't knock Draft's radio setup...it is a nice setup and really neat..i understand the time and effort that goes with the fabbing of that pieace. so hats off to you draft......whatever works for you is fine. You are also right Draft, its all about preference. it just so happens that i like drafts idea and it's very close to what i was looking to do. you have the space to work with the unit to be place in the center, as for me, if you are familiar with the eddie bauer, the center where you have the radio, i have a digital unit that reads the temp,fuel.....that center console extends a bit further and occupies the room where you have the radio so i have to think of a different setup without cutting things out of my truck. it just so happens that there is all-in-one unit in the market that i can use for my setup. all i have to worry is the space to fit the radio.

And yes david...that radio is sweet. that was the setup i was thinking of...having something like that, that can do everything...the monitor and the dvd/cd all in one unit!...it is expensive....this unit is also a touch screen.

i think i can get a better deal than that here in NYC.

I am not knocking anybodys idea and yes i could not imagine the time it took to fabricate that,it was just my opinion.
and probably the way i had mine set up you would not think it is cook either.

Do you have Pictures of it....i need some ideas..if the one i plan on doesnt work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back