• Register Today It's free!

Dually explorer?

Tes90

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford explorer 4x4
So I'm thinking/looking to do something crazy with my mud/daily driver 92 Eddie baurer edition 4x4 I'm wanting to put dually adaptors on it is this possible and if so where might a purchase them

I'm running 33/12.5/15 tires on my truck would like to keep the same size tires if possible

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds Cool , I Would Just Buy a F250 Dually Rear Axle And move The Spring Perches and Upgrade To F150 Leafs !!

The only reason I wanted to do the adaptors is cheap and easy and it would be removable cuz I would only use them for off road I know you can do it with adaptors seen a jeep wrangler with them on YouTube

That Sounds Cool , I'm going To Have To Check That Out

First, no.

Secondly, because your going to look into it anyway despite my advice, you will need to change the axle. then you have to consider if your doing the front too so the bolt pattern matches. To do it right, after buying the axle, having it shortened, all the custom stuff that will need to be done... You will end up with a lot of cash into a thing that won't do anything well.

Duallys tow heavy ****. Explorers haul kids and play in the dirt. If you wheel, you will bounce off of everything, tearing up your fiberglass dually fenders. Possibly breaking one of those adapters too.

$.02

lol theres a bright yellow lowered duelly suv about an hour from where i live. i think its a suburban. deffidently not to my taste but its a cool looking truck.

It would just be for some what for show and light mud I'm just looking to do something with it it's been awhile since I've done anything to it

single tires work soooo much better then dually tires in mud.

and just think, midsize suv with a fullwidth axle leaves you with yours single tires 75% out of the wheel wells, dually axle would leave both tires completely out of the wheel well, maybe an inch or two of the inner one would still be tucked in. even with dually flares, the outer tire will stick almost all the way out.

sounds horrible!! heh.. if you try it with your current C-clip axle, don't expect it to last long.

did it mention it will be ugly as sin?
i think somebody pointed out already that it won't do anything well.

if your going to do all the work, why not just swap in some 1-ton single wheel axles (front and back) and have something worth having?

Man... why is everybody hatin' on this guy? If you don't like it, don't do it to your rig. I hate the color yellow, doesn't mean I tell a guy he's a moron for wanting to paint his rig mustard. Personal preference bro, do whatever makes you like your rig more and if YOU think it sucks, change it. My two freakin' Lincolns.

definatly an interesting idea, even though I dont see any practical use. I would like to see it but there is no way in hell I would do it to mine

Literally yesterday I was wondering why no one tried this yet. I think it'd be sick!

Literally yesterday I was wondering why no one tried this yet. I think it'd be sick!

its bin done to lots of suv's. about an hour north of my house theres a lowered suv with duelys. might be heading that way this week, if i do i'll take a pic.

anyone here live in kelowna bc? im sure you've seen it if you do.

Hell yes! Duelys are very rare here in Australia, when ever I see one cruising down the high way I instantly start drooling. DO IT! & take pic's

Go for it man. But before you do, take all the advice possible from this forum. It is an absolutely terrible idea as far as functionality goes, it will make your tires stick all the way out, explorers are excellent on the trails because they aren't fullsize, it would cost a fortune... BUT ... It IS your truck, it would be fricken badass ... and it would sure be cool to look at !!!!

if you do it just get some duely rims and get an addapter machined so they will fit on the 8.8. then a week later when you dont want to have duelys anymore you can just pull them off.

So I'm thinking/looking to do something crazy with my mud/daily driver 92 Eddie baurer edition 4x4 I'm wanting to put dually adaptors on it is this possible and if so where might a purchase them

I'm running 33/12.5/15 tires on my truck would like to keep the same size tires if possible

I ran my explorer dually front and rear for a day to see what it looked like. I wish i had a pic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It was waaaayyy wide, it was the old military 40s that came with my rocks..

Back