Dumb Dimmer Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dumb Dimmer Question

Post number 10 has been selected as best answered.

wharriso

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer Limited
A few weeks ago I loaned my Explorer to my wife to haul around her girlfriends. My wife as a habit of pushing random buttons to figure out how things work. When I got my car back, this dimmer light comes on every time I start the car. How do I undo whatever she pressed? (pic below)

IMG_1831.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it possible that the actual switch may be stuck and therefore brings up the display? I'm guessing that once you press OK that it goes away until the next cycle.

Peter

I agree with Peter.
See if either of the buttons which control the dimmer are stuck.

If a button was stuck wouldn’t the dimmer be at the high, or low point?

Is it possible that the actual switch may be stuck and therefore brings up the display? I'm guessing that once you press OK that it goes away until the next cycle.

Peter
Thanks for replying Peter. The buttons are not stuck, I can still adjust the the brightness with both buttons. I tried the OK but it still appears the next time I start the car. The interesting thing is it does not appear just from stopping and starting the engine, I have shut the car off and wait for all lights to go out (leave the car) for a few minutes, then the dimmer light appears again when I start it.

Do you have one of the 'person 1 person 2' gizmos that remember settings based upon who is behind the wheel? Could be it need to verify which driver you are and set the dimmer for that profile. Other than that, I'd be perusing the owners manual as I have no clue. First thought was a need so 'save' the setting somehow.
I could live with honey changing the dimming a lot easier than when she moves the seat. After her adjustment, when I drive, my foot/ankle start to hurt as she sets it different, and the way I have to hold my foot on the pedal begins to ache after 10-15 minutes of driving. That means moving the seat around until I can find a positon that is less painful.
tom

It could be related to the auto headlight setting, or something is blocking the light sensor on the dash, causing the lights to turn on and the instrument panel to dim for night setting.

Do you have one of the 'person 1 person 2' gizmos that remember settings based upon who is behind the wheel? Could be it need to verify which driver you are and set the dimmer for that profile. Other than that, I'd be perusing the owners manual as I have no clue. First thought was a need so 'save' the setting somehow.
I could live with honey changing the dimming a lot easier than when she moves the seat. After her adjustment, when I drive, my foot/ankle start to hurt as she sets it different, and the way I have to hold my foot on the pedal begins to ache after 10-15 minutes of driving. That means moving the seat around until I can find a positon that is less painful.
tom
It could be related to the auto headlight setting, or something is blocking the light sensor on the dash, causing the lights to turn on and the instrument panel to dim for night setting.
Those things should not cause the dash brightness setting to come on. The dash lighting automatically adjusts to the ambient light level without the dimmer switch activating.

Peter

Those things should not cause the dash brightness setting to come on. The dash lighting automatically adjusts to the ambient light level without the dimmer switch activating.

Peter
I looked at the image too quickly, thought it was the one that pops up when it switches from day setting to night setting, or vice-versa. My bad.

It's a last resort, but have you tried disconnecting the negative battery cable, waiting 15-20 minutes, and hooking it back up? A "hard reset?"

It's a last resort, but have you tried disconnecting the negative battery cable, waiting 15-20 minutes, and hooking it back up? A "hard reset?"
You last resort worked! Thanks so much!

You last resort worked! Thanks so much!
Okay, so that worked but
So, that worked but as soon as I tried pressing the dimmer switch again the symptoms started again. But I think I figured it out - The light around the dimmer/light switch assembly is out. There is no light on the liftgate indicator either. I wont be able to work on replacing that light for several days but I am pretty sure that will fix the problem, I will keep you posted.

Back