DW's SAS #1 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DW's SAS #1

Since the New year is appoaching I thought id start a thread on my build.

Ive put alot of thought into what I want to accomplish. Spending alot of time reading up and searching this site for info and ideas. Which has been very helpful.

Parts that I have as of now
91 explorer I picked up for $250 bad tranny.
Dana 44 and 9" from a 79 bronco
33/12.50-15 thornbirds with chrome wagon wheels
supercharged 3.8L motor from a 89 tbird

Reason for the motor swap is for the challenge of getting it in and running. The other reason is just to be different. Not everyday do u see a supercharger under the hood of an explorer. The torque is much higher that the stock 4.0 too.

For the 9" swap im not to worried about that conversion. I was looking for some thoughts on if I should place the axle in the stock location or move it back and if so how far?

As for the front I want to do the conversion with leafs not coils. This is the area im going to need some insight and help. Ill get into that when the time comes. But please post links to your rigs or someones you know of that has done the front leaf conversion.

In the mean time I am looking for ideas on a driveline. "trans/tc" I have the original b&w 1354 from the explorer and then I have a b&w 1356 from a 91 f150. I like to use one or the other to save on the cost of the build.

I believe the ford 4.0 and the 3.8 have the same bellhousing bolt pattern? So what transmissions do I have the option to go with?

Thanks for the help and I cant wait to get going on this project

Doug

As far as the rear axle goes, I'd leave it in stock location since you have leafs back there. You'd have to extend the frame so you'll have someplace to mount the shackles...a lot of work for a little gain IMO.

If anything i'd move the front axle forward an inch or two if you are going to run coils.

Good luck with the build:thumbsup:

I believe the ford 4.0 and the 3.8 have the same bellhousing bolt pattern? So what transmissions do I have the option to go with?

Doug

Nope. The 3.8 uses the 302 bellhousing. So any of the small block V8 trannys will bolt to it.

Parts that I have as of now
91 explorer I picked up for $250 bad tranny.
Dana 44 and 9" from a 79 bronco
33/12.50-15 thornbirds with chrome wagon wheels
supercharged 3.8L motor from a 89 tbird

As for the front I want to do the conversion with leafs not coils. This is the area im going to need some insight and help. Ill get into that when the time comes. But please post links to your rigs or someones you know of that has done the front leaf conversion.

Doug

Not to burst your bubble, but as your 79 Bronco axle sits right now, you aren't going to be able to do leafs with out some major modifications. It’s a great axle, but since it has the cast C wedges, they can't simply be cut off as you can on an earlier Dana 44 or with a F250 axle. In my opinion your best bet with this axle is to do coils. Otherwise you would have to look into getting it retubed, in which case you might as well start with the right axle to begin with.

As far as ideas and pictures, your best bet is to look over ones that people have already taken the time to do a write-up for.

Good luck!

I was afraid of the C wedge cast but it was free so i was hoping to find a way around it. O well guess im doing coils

Back