• Register Today It's free!

Dyeing airbags

spinyard

Reaction score
City, State
el cajon,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 exp 94 ranger
I found some airbags for my explorer, but they are the wrong color. They are tan, and i need grey. anyone have a solution?

Thanks

Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does it matter? hopefully you'll never see them. assuming you're talking about the kind that come flying out at you when hit something.

?

Do you want a tan airbag in your grey dash? How about a tan airbag in your grey steering wheel. Looks pretty gay doesn't it?

93 explorers had airbags?

solution to your problem.. paint them. that's a pretty easy way to change color of something.
or find another airbag. or replace your interior. that's pretty much your options i would think.

didn't even consider the cover.. i was just thinking about the bag itself.. not the cover. i've only seen off white airbags.

No, don't paint vinyl, you have to die it. There is a special dye made for vinyl that wont crack and chip later down the road, trouble is, due to dirt, grease, and sun turning the color of your dash differently it will be hard to make it match, but not impossible. Another solution could be is to lay something like suede over them and a couple of other places so it wouldn't look too gay, but dye, don't paint. I bid on some the other day on e-bay until I found out that the one for the steering wheel wouldn't fit because I have radio controls in my steering wheel.

we paint vinyl at work all the time. granted we have professional painters and not your average paint store paint... but it seems to work. this stuff doesn't daily abuse like a steering wheel would, but it gets handled a decent amount.

Thanks for all the help. BY the way i need to update my profile. 2001 Explorer sport trac has airbags!

Do not cover the bags and I would even discourage dyeing them.
The bags are there to prevent your nasil passages from being imbeded with windshield glass.
These things deploy at tremendous speed and force.
Having shards of paint headin at your eyes and face at 100mph is probabally not what you want to do.
What ever you do, just heavily consider what and how these bags do what they do, and what the risk for the sake of apperiance is to you.

Back