e4406 swap quick question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

e4406 swap quick question

Yes, an electrically shifted 4406 (the part time version) can be shifted by hand/with pliers between positions.
hello i am also doing the 4406 swap on my 98... i picked up a bearing kit for it!! .have you rebuilt your? Looking for a reference to the rebuild for mine , can't find a site yet ? thks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never touched the insides of mine. But others here probably have good info for you

I have done a couple of them now. I didn't find any instructions specific to the 4406, but a couple of the on-line parts places that sell the individule parts for the 4406 have exploded diagrams. That's what I used. Keep in mind that you will likely need to at least replace the nylon shift fork tips while you have it open.

When opening it up, place the case on something solid so that the bolt heads for the hardware that holds the case halves togther are pointing up. You will need to remove the tail housing first which has some weird method of holding it on.... I don't remember exactly. Then you can unbolt all of the case bolts and lifth the rear case off. Something like that.

BTW, check the bushing/seals for the output yoke. Easy/inexpensive to replace while you are in there, not so much when it is assembled.

I have another 4406 in the garage that needs output bushing, a shift fork and tips. I should document the process when I do that one.

Also, when you have it all back together DO NOT USE TRANSMISSION FLUID in it. The current generation formulation for Mercron V as well as many of the other transmission fluids are missing some sort of additive that allows the teflon tips for the shift forks to survive. To fix this problem most of the oil manufacturers now make a transfer case specific fluid for these. Its on the shelf by the transmission fluids.

excellent much thks .. i did buy the bearing set complete with gaskets .. uncharted territory for me.. i like the challenge .. good tips .. i'll apply thks jack

I have done a couple of them now. I didn't find any instructions specific to the 4406, but a couple of the on-line parts places that sell the individule parts for the 4406 have exploded diagrams. That's what I used. Keep in mind that you will likely need to at least replace the nylon shift fork tips while you have it open.

When opening it up, place the case on something solid so that the bolt heads for the hardware that holds the case halves togther are pointing up. You will need to remove the tail housing first which has some weird method of holding it on.... I don't remember exactly. Then you can unbolt all of the case bolts and lifth the rear case off. Something like that.

BTW, check the bushing/seals for the output yoke. Easy/inexpensive to replace while you are in there, not so much when it is assembled.

I have another 4406 in the garage that needs output bushing, a shift fork and tips. I should document the process when I do that one.

Also, when you have it all back together DO NOT USE TRANSMISSION FLUID in it. The current generation formulation for Mercron V as well as many of the other transmission fluids are missing some sort of additive that allows the teflon tips for the shift forks to survive. To fix this problem most of the oil manufacturers now make a transfer case specific fluid for these. Its on the shelf by the transmission fluids.
hello i too had problems finding assembly instructions 4406 .,what steps do i use to put the half's together .. shafts, fork bearing etc?

I run mercon/Dexron in my 4406 t cases, never an issue
Mercon V is too slick for T cases
That t case fluid works too!!

Back