easiest way to change transmission filter on a 98? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

easiest way to change transmission filter on a 98?

mavieman73

Reaction score
City, State
Inwood WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer xlt
Got all the fluid changed but cant seem to get the pan off....never done this on a 98 before any help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on my 98 i have to remove the front driveshaft to get the transmission pan off

ok after i take the bolts out of the driveshaft on the front rear does it just pull out of the tc?

and i have it on ramps so after i pull the driveshaft out wont it try and drift back? i mean i have the tires chucked

What's the problem? Nothing under the transmission in my V8 AWD, but there may be something in the way for yours. To get a meaningful response, please provide the engine type, and if it's a V6, also whether 2WD or 4WD.
Incidentally, you seem to be doing things in the reverse order. Why would you remove the pan after changing all the fluid? You will lose about 5qt of your brand new fluid by doing so.

Got all the fluid changed but cant seem to get the pan off....never done this on a 98 before any help?

just dropped one end gave me enough room and as long as your jacked up and wheel chocked safely you will be good

This is really confusing. Are you working on the transmission or on the transfer case?

ok after i take the bolts out of the driveshaft on the front rear does it just pull out of the tc?

on my 98 sohc sport the cats and front driveshaft makes it impossible to drop the tranny pan u get movement but not enough clearance to get to the filter

Back