• Register Today It's free!

ECM for a Auto to Manual Swap

osteologation

Reaction score
City, State
Caro, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Sport
I've read on TRS that the manual ecm regulates injector pulses for real engine braking and the A4ld sets a higher idle. Otherwise it'll work you'll just suffer the mileage. At least thats how I understand it.

My question is that my Ex is a 94 a4ld. I am obtaining a 92 ranger parts truck. Can I use the ECM from the 92 in the 94 or will I have to find a 94 ECM? Also are the driveshafts the same? I read mixed reports on length. Everything else seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can I use the ECM from the 92 in the 94 or will I have to find a 94 ECM
Assuming the '92 is a 4.0 L engine, I won't say you "can't", because it can be made to work. In addition to the auto/manual transmission differences, there are several significant differences in engine management: sequential ('94) vs. batch ('92) fire injection, EGR ('94) vs. no EGR ('92), 2 O2 sensors ('94) vs. 1 O2 sensor ('92), and so on. I don't have specifics right in front of me, but I would expect there would be significant chunks of the wiring harness that would also need to be swapped/modified to get the '92 PCM to work. Not impossible, but almost certainly more than "plug and play" simple.

so if can locate a 94 ecm or reflash my auto ecm i should be ok? both trucks are 4.0. ishouldnt need a whole new harness should i? its my understanding that the tranny harness will plug into existing harness on back of engine. as in i will probably do the swap and use the auto ecm till i can locate a manual ecm. the sctusl ecm swap shoild be pretty easy. i see a lot questions about physically installing the tranny but the wiring seems to go unasked. ive changed trannies ,replaced a bad tranyy not swap to stick, in my 91 and i am aware, hopefully, of any issues thus far. again much thsnks.

also im not using the 4.0 from rangr just tranny and tcase

Back