Efficiency is money and I don't have any. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Efficiency is money and I don't have any.

Vininfinite

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT
2ljnel3.jpg

Hello Explorer forum! I have a 1995 V6 OHV 4speed automatic Ford Explorer XLT with over 300k miles on it and I come here today ashamed to say that I haven't been treating her well this last year. Money has been tight the last 6 month, I have been lazy the last 12, and the put offs are way over due.. Starting with the most important my engine oil is a coffee black, I believe I'm in need of differential fluid change (clunks), and I have severe lag between gear shifts when my vehicle is not 'warmed up'. BUT I may be coming into some money, so if I'm going to do some maintenance I'd like to get the most for it.

Engine Oil: This truck has had dino oil in it it's entire life. I'd like to go synthetic for the efficiency boost, but I'm afraid of shocking the engine. Let me remind you that it's at 300k. Would it be advised to use half synthetic as a stepping stone or is that a waste of time? I don't want to hurt my truck more then I already have, but fuel cost are killing me! Maybe I could wean it off the dino oil slowly like a quart at a time? lol I just know the previous owner was a 'once a year' oil change type of guy and I feel full synthetic might be too good for my truck at this point.

Transmission: From what I've read I believe I have the common problem with my trannys valve body. Delays in shifts/ect. Problem is I am on a limited budget and do not have the experience/tools/work space to preform a biopsy on my tranny myself. But is there anything I can do to alleviate the symptoms? Could I flush my transmission with 10 quarts of new oil rather then just replacing the 3 during a filter change? Recommendations?

Differential: My truck has always been clunky, but in the past year or two the clunks have been getting sharper. Most noticeable clunks occur when slowing down or changing gear at <35mph. Half the problem is the tranny, but I think it's would be a safe thing to change out my differential fluid.

Seafoam: I've considered using something like Seafoam in the past to remove carbon build up and improve efficiency, but I am wary of something designed for outboard motors being used on a high mileage truck. I would like to get as much done in as short as time as possible, but I believe using a carbon build up remover and then immediately switching to synthetic is too high of a risk. I don't believe any additive has ever been given to this truck, so that makes me think that the engine is being held together/back by what possible buildup lives inside.

Bypass Filter: I've done research into installing a bypass filter (aldive) and I believe it would be a great step for extending what life remains in my engine and the oil I put in. If transitioning from dino to synthetic is it recommended that I hold off on installing a bypass filter?

I've been putting off doing maintenance and my budget has only worsened my scenario. I feel like I've disrespected my vehicle and I'm about to charge everything to my card to make up for it. Efficiency is money and I don't have any. If I wait any longer it's going to cost me more in gas and parts. So before I go out to Wallymart and purchase 5 quarts of cheapo 5w30/full synthetic I thought I'd come here first to review whats been on my mind. Any information is helpful. Thank you.

I'm going to be brutally honest with you, if you have an emotional attachment to this vehicle and plan on repairing it no matter the cost, I understand, but...

Regular maintenance is the key to extending any vehicle's life expectancy. That being said, you've neglected even basic maintenance (like changing the engine oil) for at least the past year. Having a 23 year old truck with a V6 with 300,000 miles on it, which is already experiencing transmission and possible differential problems (plus who knows what else may be nearing the end of it's serviceable life) I think you need to ask yourself whether or not it makes sense to start putting a lot of money in it at this point. The truck looks pretty clean in the picture, but you do live where the roads are salted in the winter, so rust is also a major consideration.

If you start adding up the cost of repairing what you know is wrong with the truck, plus what else might also need attention, and the fact that there might not be much life left in your engine (no matter what type of oil you put in it) you quickly exceed the value of your vehicle.

Maybe you should just start looking for a newer vehicle, that's been well maintained with fewer miles on it, instead of spending big bucks on your truck only to have the engine give up the ghost in a few thousand miles or having the frame rust through.

JMHO.

I'm just wondering how you got a Right hand drive Ex in New Jersey. With backwards white wall letter tires. :)

I tend to agree with Koda.

I'd grab some Motorcraft semi-syn and a Motorcraft filter at WallyWorld and change the oil. Man- the rest is touch and go. As bad as it sounds, you're probably playing with a $500 truck there, so you'd really honestly have to ask yourself if you want to take the (for argument sake) $1500, put it into the truck, have a tranny go out (and a trans for a '95 is not easy to find all the time) and be stuck in a situation in 6 months with gas at $4.50/gallon with a dead 15mpg truck- or sell it for a little bit, take everything and get a decent quality gas-sipper...

Or, put in some oil, maybe change some fluids, and drive it until it dies. I don't think I would put a bunch into it, it's nearing the end of it's life cycle, and somewhat accelerated due to the last year.

Right hand drive! Backwards tires. What in the word are you smoking cause I want some!

Your at 300k, you've already got great service from the vehicle.

Change the oil, don't waste your $$$ on synthetic.
Look into the valve body for your delay shift issue.
It's not going to hurt to change the diff. Fluid, but it might not be the cause of the clunk.
Seafoam - snake oil.
By pass filter? Another waste of $$ for your truck.

Change the oil, get the maintenance up to date, figure out the trans issue and squeeze some more life out of it as cheaply as possible.

Back