• Register Today It's free!

Electric Door Lock Switches

DanKS

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
I have a rather weird thing happening with my electric door locks. On the driver's side and passenger side, I can get the doors to unlock with the switch, but they won't lock with the switch. HOWEVER, and this is the really weird part, when I go to the switch inside the back tailgate, it works perfectly! What could be the difference between the front switches and the back switch? I removed the whole switch assembly from the driver's door arm rest and checked the switch contacts with an ohm meter, and it is functioning just like it should. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first thought would be the switch itself.

On my Sport, the rear hatch area lock switch would unlock, but lock was iffy. I took the switch apart and cleaned all the contacts, and it worked beautifully from that point on.

No improvement

Okay, so based upon the suggestion, I replaced both the driver's side and passenger side door lock switches, and it didn't change a thing. The switch inside the back tailgate works perfectly, but the two front switches still unlock like they should but won't lock the doors. I have no idea where to look past that, and it really seems weird that only one function is affected. Could it perhaps be a fuse or other electrical issue that I haven't found? What points can I check?

Check the wiring where it passes between the door and the body. Might be a chafed or broken wire there, mayhaps?

The harness was one of the first things I checked; everything is solid on both sides. Next?

Back