• Register Today It's free!

Electric SUV

Kingsblue

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XLT
Has anyone seen this? http://brucedp.150m.com/blazer/I know it's a Blazer, but isn't it cool !!! Now why can't I just buy a kit do this to my Explorer:exp: ... Now THAT would be sweeet. :biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I remember reading a similar article a while ago about somebody which converted his Jeep to electric. He had over 400k on the gasoline engine, and didn't want to put another one in, so he converted it to electric. One place to purchase EV parts is WWW.EVParts.Com. I have a book about somebody which converted an S-10 pickup to electric.

:exp: First off I'd like to say I'm over 40 yrs. old. Now, I'm gonna say this; "There's no damned battery operated vehicle that is gonna give me the pleasure of hearing my glasspacks rumble & roar or feel the thrill of getting pushed back in my seat when I mash my accelator to the floor from a dead-stop". :)
:exp: :exporange :yelexp:

Check this link about the Tesla Roadster: http://weblogs.ucalgary.ca/djsaunde/blog/2007/03/26/the_tesla
tesla_roadster.jpg

tesla%20roadster.bmp

Last month's Car & Driver featured a guy that took an old Datsun something-or-other, and put a pair of siamesed forklift motors in it, and ran high 11s on battery power! No transmission or anything...Just ran the motors to the driveshaft to the rear end. 4.10 final drive was perfect, as it was turning right around 7300 RPM thru the traps, which was just about maxed out for these motors.
Best part was it had over 600 lbs/ft of torque to the rear wheels at 0 RPM! That makes for some pretty unreal 60' times!

or feel the thrill of getting pushed back in my seat when I mash my accelator to the floor from a dead-stop
Electric motors often have wwaaaaay more torque than gasoline engines. Their torquer band is pretty much instantaneous from 0 RPM.

Charging cost

Thanks for the posts guys. Great link BrooklynBay. I would be
interested to see what the cost would be on your electric bill if you
charged it from home every night. Maybe based on estimates of price per
kilowatt hour. It seems like it would pay for itself in a very short
time.

I remember reading an article about solar charging stations in a municipal parking facility. It is not in existence yet, but it was something which was proposed by some utility company. People with electric vehicles would pay to park there, and the cost of parking would include the electricity they are using to recharge.

L. 4.10 final drive was perfect, as it was turning right around 7300 RPM thru the traps, which was just about maxed out for these motors.
Best part was it had over 600 lbs/ft of torque to the rear wheels at 0 RPM! That makes for some pretty unreal 60' times!

The large electric motor of the Prius is connected directly to the front axle shafts thru a final drive ratio of 4.10. The Prius motor only has 295 lb ft though. Top speed is limited by the max rpm of the smaller motor @ 10000 rpm = 103 mph.

Who Killed The Electric Car?

Everyone should watch the movie/documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car?". http://www.whokilledtheelectriccar.com/ :roll: It has A LOT of insight of the auto industry and how we had a fully functional electric car in existence in the early to mid 90's.... and due to mostly the oil industry, government, the tie between the two, and the fact that major car companies can be influenced by what was probably a huge buyoff.... GM recalled every last one of them and crushed them all. There was also a fleet of electric Ford Rangers and a fleet of Toyota RAV4's that were mostly all crushed. These were vehicles that (in the later years) could get 100-300 miles per charge. That is way more than the average american drives per day. They had charging stations set up all over California, lots of them solar... now what are we just now seeing emerge... Hybrids... yay... that's great... but what about the fully electric vehicles... the ones that cost 4 cents per mile to operate, need virtually no maintenance, have almost no parts that wear out... the ones that use NO oil and would help us get away from needing foreign oil and could ultimately save lives.. Well, we had them once. "No demand for EV's" they said. Well, say that was true... what about now?!? http://www.whokilledtheelectriccar.com/

Back