• Register Today It's free!

Engine failsafe mode

czed

Reaction score
City, State
Canada East Coast
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 F-150
My 2005 4.6L Explorer is currently in the engine failsafe mode. When I start it is seems to idle fine, but depressing the pedal doesn't rev up the engine. I read that it can go into this mode due to over temperature, oil pressure/level low, and the coolant level is fine, oil pressure good at idle and oil level is correct I like this truck, it's my work/fishing/hunting buggy and I'm Leary of spending a bunch of money on a truck that might not be worth it. Could it be something simple like a dead plug or something? It's in my driveway now for the past couple of weeks it sure would be nice to get out and drive it. Just hoping someone might recognize or be able to narrow down what to look for. Thanks in advance!

mine did it once when i forget to re-connect the wires to the throttle body. (as its drive by wire). get a scanner and you will know for sure. Also, you could try disconnect the battery for 10 min and see if that resets the computer - but i doubt it.

I hooked up a reader and it read:
P2104
P0122
P0222
P2101
I Am guessing throttle position sensor? I can pick one up at the dealer no trouble, but is this alone enough to put the truck in fail safe mode?

Back