the dreaded 'Failsafe mode' | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

the dreaded 'Failsafe mode'

ltmike70

I had similar with my 04 4.6 Dealer flashed the PCM and problem went away. It was under warranty at the time. I wonder if yours could be done under emissions warranty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, took it to the dealer. they said it was the throttle body. I told them what I read on here and they said if I could reproduce it, I told them yes. They said, we can hook up a Data recorder to the OBD and when you have it happen again, press the buttona and the recorder will record 1 minute worth of info. I drove it out and made it happen again, twice. took it back and the technition said the data lead him to believe that the throttle body was bad. I stated I dont fell spending 800 on a part that may or may not repair the problem. What if the PCM is bad. He stated that their policy is that if we do their recommended repair and then it does not repair it, they will refund the money and put it towards the next repair. So I asked him if the PCM is bad and you guys have to replace it later because the throttle body did not repair the problem, then i would only have to pay the difference between the two. they said yes and they would put it in writing. So, I am picking up the truck tomorrow and we will see if it does it again. I have owned a 2001 sport track and my 2004 EB explorer and this is the first time I have ever had to spend more than 300 on either and that was for just a major tune up service. Never had to replace any major parts before. Both my trucks have been pretty reliable. this is the first time that either has let me down. Well, we will see how it works out. thank everyone.

well, I picked up the truck and attempted to duplicate the fail safe mode. Couldn't do it, she is running perfectly and they did put it in writing on the receipt that if the PCM is the problem, they will reimburse the throttle body cost towards a replacement PCM. So far so good. Thanks for this great site.

Hey guys, I'm having problems with my 2005 Ford Explorer Eddie bower (4.5 L V8). When coasting down a road my car will begin to flash and say "Check charging system" then the whole car powers down. I took it to my ford dealer and they checked the following
PCM
Battery
Alternator
However, they could't find a problem with anything. Would updating my PCM flash do anything? I'm desperately searching for a solution. Although this shutting down doesn't happen much, when it does happen everything goes into manual mode and my cars steering and breaks become very difficult to operate (Kinda scary).
Thanks Shane

Shane, It sounds like the engine dies while coasting. This happened to my wife when she would use the cruise control at low speed (35mph) and start down a hill.
Is seemed the engine would drop RPM to slow the truck and the engine would quit.
If you are not using cruise when this happens, I would check the components that affect the idle.

BTW, you can put the shifter into N and restart the engine while you are still coasting to get your power accessorys to start working again.

Back