Engine mounts bolts sheared off! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine mounts bolts sheared off!

robbizkit

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
Went to change engine mounts on my 99 awd 5.0 and both bolts are sheared off at the block! Anyone else run into this? Just traded my expedition for this explorer about 6 months ago and its been a long list off strange issues....looking for input, thanks, my first post here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bolts that hold the motor mounts are broken off in the block ? All 4 of them ?
I would start with engine removal I guess, man that had to be some serious abuse accident ?

no signs of collision repair. lower ball joint did break couple of months back so it did hit the pavement? engine coming out next few days I will update thread with new info.

no signs of collision repair. lower ball joint did break couple of months back so it did hit the pavement? engine coming out next few days I will update thread with new info.

Nothing on you here, but an excellent example of why people should check and replace worn ball joints. I have seen so many trucks driving around with obviously bad ball joints (tires sitting way off kilter). One good bump or pothole and bad things happen!

I agree, and the worst part of this is that the guy i got it from told me the balljoints were only 2 years old. Turns out they were never greased!!! I really like the 5.0 awd pkg but its been a trial. Honestly my explorer pulls my trailer with 3 atvs with less effort than my 5.4 expedition did.

I saw that - new ball joints changed by "wanna-be" mechanics and not lubricated because "the old ones didn't need lube". In 6mo-1year those ball joints are gone again and they blame the store.

Went to change engine mounts on my 99 awd 5.0 and both bolts are sheared off at the block! Anyone else run into this? Just traded my expedition for this explorer about 6 months ago and its been a long list off strange issues....looking for input, thanks, my first post here.

I have a '96 5.0 and this is the second time for me the bolt(s) both this time has broken off in the block. It has 196,000 miles on it but the engine runs great and has had good maintenance.

Back