Engine Noise

dfocht

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 5.0 V8 Ford Explorer
Hello gents!

I appear to have a lot of engine noise in my V8 '98 Explorer when I push on the accelerator. At idle or cruising speed it's a chugging & ticking sound but the moment you step on the gas it sounds terrible. Any thoughts as to what could be going on? I just replaced the AC unit so I would hate to find out it's something crazy expensive.

Here's the video link.

https://youtu.be/M-8LFmOPXcU

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the egr valve pipe that comes from the exhaust manifold. May also be a cracked manifold or bad gasket. hook a shop vac in blow (empty, dont blow in debris) to the tail pipe to find the leak.

My egr pipe was cracked in 2, easy fix. I modified a 7/8 crow foot socket from autozone with a bench grinder to be large enough to take off the egr pipe.

Great! Will check it out.

Jeff pretty much nailed it, either EGR or Exhaust Manifold. I'm on my 3rd 2nd gen and all 3 have had leaky/bad/broken exhaust manifolds. Both are cheap if you do the wrenching yourself. Me not being very mechanically inclined, I have opted for the "put a big ass stereo in" option to deter the noise lol.

Follow Up

Jeff213 & shadowless127 - You guys are genius! That's exactly what it was. Between that and leaking coolant seal, the shop I went fixed both problems for $300. That's a bargain as far as I'm concerned. The truck hasn't run this smooth and quiet in a looooong time. Thanks for the advice!

Back