Engine Rattleing noise at 2000 rpm 02 expo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Rattleing noise at 2000 rpm 02 expo

gforceman

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia beach VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 limited 4.6 V8
02 expo XLT 103234 miles 4.0 V6 hear a rattleing noise at 2000 rpm , funny that after the oil has been changed the noise is less noticable , checked all pullyes and moving parts and there ok.Oil presser is good , i do notice that on the drivers side valve cover the inner working seem a little noiseyer than the passside . thx for any opionions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm getting the same noise. Mine happens between 2000 and 3000 RPM's. It's a loud rattle noise. I've only got 84K miles on my 02 EX.

If anyone has some info, it would be appreciated.

Vic

I have the same issue on my '02 XLS 4x4.

I took it into the dealership and asked about it. They thought the timing chain was going to have to be replaced and wanted my approval to tear it down basically. It was under warranty (extended) so I said go right ahead.

But, my extended warranty people gave them some grief so they never did it. So, they found another Explorer... same year and model... and test drove it and it produced the same noise. So, he comes back to me and says they are going to classify this "noise" as a trait of this engine.

"Whatever" I'm thinking... because I notice the noise lowers after, yes, an oil change. What's even more interesting is that when I had my transmission flushed, that noise completely disappeared for about a week, then came back. About a month ago, I had my fuel filter changed. That also took care of the noise.

After the fuel filter change, I still hear it but it is far less noticeable.

I stll don't know what to do about it and hope it doesn't cause me any problems in the future. My warranty expires July 31st....

Oh, and rolled over to 66,000 miles as of yesterday...

Valve Ticking

:usa: :usa: I have had the same problem with my 2002 explorer 4.6 V8
I hear a ticking sound from 1500-2200 rpms
I took it to a garage for another problem and asked to look at the noise too.
They only could conclude that it was internal. I belive that it is a valve sleave or something to do with that.
That is all that I have.
I could use any new info.
Thanks,Jeff

I to with a 02 XLT V8 have that noise at around 1000 rpm and or taking off slowly from a light. I will also go see my dealer for some insight on this although I don't think it's serious it is annoying! If anyone knows for sure what this could be please feel free to post. the timing chain is what most techs are saying which makes sense and I did hear of a revised chain tensioner from ford to correct his problem but I will look into it and re post as soon as I can.

Back