• Register Today It's free!

Engine seems to be running hot

DStielerinFL

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Canaveral, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
I recently bought a used 2018 Explorer Platinum, with 36,000 miles on it. Carfax report is clean and dealer maintenance history shows only major repair was replacing the turbocharger. I'm still getting familiar with the vehicle and noticed it was very warm when walking around the front of the vehicle. I opened the hood and found that the hood support rod was almost too hot to touch! Any suggestions as to what to look for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was the temperature gauge showing above the midpoint? It isn't all that accurate but should be an indication of a possible problem. Is the coolant level okay?

Peter

That’s not really a valid tell of anything. With the right paint colors these can easily get the metal of the body too hot to touch in just the direct sun.

Like above Check that the gauge rides in the center of the gauge.

Was the temperature gauge showing above the midpoint? It isn't all that accurate but should be an indication of a possible problem. Is the coolant level okay?

Peter
Vehicle was sitting for 15-20 minutes when I noticed this condition, so I hadn't noticed temp gauge reading. I checked the coolant level, it's on the low side, but within the band. I ran an OBD check and got a P0299 code for 'Turbo/Supercharger underboost', not sure if that could be the heat source?!? I'm going to top off the coolant and keep an eye on it!

That’s not really a valid tell of anything. With the right paint colors these can easily get the metal of the body too hot to touch in just the direct sun.

Like above Check that the gauge rides in the center of the gauge.
It was parked in the garage!

It is something that definitely should be looked at,
There is a thread here on a 2013 with the same code but it was never followed up as to a fix. I just asked the member if he had it repaired.

Peter

Back