engine swap - now having accessory electrical issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine swap - now having accessory electrical issues

dansnyder22

Reaction score
City, State
Ogden, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT, 5 speed
just finished swapping a 1993 motor and trans (manual if it matters) into a 1991. along with the engine, accessory and dash harness. now the motor runs fine but when you turn the heater on the dash lights come on. and the blinkers make the dash lights blink, some wire is crossed somewhere.

any ideas???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's all you dude. Gonna have to start tracing stuff and figuring out what went wrong. But you know which wires need to be checked, so you got a headstart.

Check and make sure that all of your grounds are where they need to be and are grounded well with clean contact surfaces. Lighting systems can backtrace through bulbs to find grounds and make lots of wierd things happen. Also make sure there arent any bulbs in anything that shouldnt be there. Its even possible for the windings of the electric motor to be inducing current in other wires that feed the dash. Check and make sure that nothing is rubbing through or making contact where it shouldnt.

Good luck fixing this one.

does anyone know the differences in wiring in between a 91 and a 93???

checked all grounds and i don't believe any plugs are reversed. is there any other ideas out there?????????

93 into a 91?all you should have to do is the engine.why did you do everything else?it should of been plug and play.maybe swap all the electronics back.i had a bug that i could never figure out, i had tapped into the acc wire for the radio to run to a switch then to my fan relay,so it would only turn on when the truck was on and i could turn my fans off if i got in deep water or mud back for some reason when the fan was on and running the truck could not be shut off till the fan stopped!!you could take the key out and the thing would keep going till the fan turned off,never figure it out,bugs are the hardest to find!!goodluck

well, the old 1991 wiring was pretty beat up. just trying to make it a 93 basically

Did you swap all the harness as a set? Engine, underdash, underhood and the body? There are many differences actually from 91 to 93. First of all there are two generations of the "first gen" explorer. The 91-92 and the 93-94. There were many changes in 93. EGR being a big one, 4 wheel anit-lock, a cam position sensor on Califonia trucks and the Limited package came out in 93. Ford added all kinds of electronic doo dads for the Electronic group and the Limited Ed which are different. There is no telling what pins on what connectors changed. I know for a fact that the PCM pins are very different from 91-92 to 93-94 and thats just one system--engine control.

Make sure that you transfered ALL the harness as a set from the 93 to your 91. I will try to look into some of these circuts and see where there might be a cross. I have the EVTMs for 92 93 94 and a full 26 page schematic for the 94. But, they are not here with me at this time.

Try pulling some fuses and see if you get at least one or all the systems in question to work properly by themselves, then you might be able to see what is feeding what.

o sorry didnt think the egr or cam pos came out till 94

ok, i am almost positive its a ground, i can ground out the negitive wire for the blower motor and everything works great, only problem is the blower motor is on full blast as long as the key is on

and yes I did swap the entire harness, under hood, engine, under dash, ecu, 4X4 harness, any chance anyone has a diagram of the hvac wiring

jd4242,

I think egr was installed on all 93's at least from what i can tell, and the cam pos was on calif trucks. Then in 94 they all were installed with it, basically all 94's are Calif emmissions

dansnyder22,

I will scan some of my books for you, i need to borrow my brother's scanner. I try to post them tonight but for sure tommorrow.

i have owned 2 93's plus this parts 93 that the motor came out of for the 91 and none of them had EGR

My mistake. My 93 has Calif emissions, which was optional in 93. It was standard in 94. Both of my trucks have EGR and the cam sensor. I missed it on the 93 the last time I was under the hood.

Here are the EVTM pages for the A/C heater circuts. Hope this helps, if you need any other pages, let me know.

thank you so much, this should help a lot.
what book is that? i really need one

any chance you could get that page it mentions with the grounds, 10-1 and 10-2.

i need to just get the book you have, but for the time being it would be appreciated

bump, please.

Sorry man, been busy this week with overtime. Here are the grounds. I had to delete the last images so as to put these on the thread. Print these then I will post the other two if you did not print them.

This book is the EVTM manual. It is part of the factory service manual set.

They are great, do a search on ebay. You should find them. If not you can get them from the printing company; Helm Incorporated - 1 800 782 4356.

The page 10-1 has the ground for the A/C compressor solenoid and the WOT cutout relay. I did not think that you would need that part.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

92exp4x4 said:
Sorry man, been busy this week with overtime. Here are the grounds.

Oh, it is no problem man, thanks a lot, I will be getting one of those books soon, thanks for your help. I appreciate it a lot

Back