• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap possibilities

geno

Reaction score
City, State
Allentown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
I have a 94 explorer 4x4 with the 4.0L V6 and auto trans. I need to know what is the latest model year engine I can swap in that will still fit the A4LD trans and be a direct replacement (least hassle). I've been told I can go up as high as 96, but if I use a 95 or 96, I have to put my 94 upper and lower intake manifolds on. Is this true? Thanks in advance for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just get your engine rebuilt

You can use up to a 2001 4.0L OHV block
You will need to use your 94 accessories, sensors, intakes, fuel rail, and exhaust manifolds

Basically you can use any year OHV you just have to take it down to the long block (engine and heads)

in 97 they went to a different bolt pattern on the crank so you would need a 97+ style flexplate, it will bolt up to your 94 A4LD torque converter.

Rebuilding your current engine can cost upwards of $800-1200, buying a low mileage running take out from the junk yard with a 90 day up to 1 year warranty can be as low as $300
You decide. IMO swapping for a junk yard engine is the way to go!

Now is a good time to go through the A4LD.....

I'm all for a junk yard motor, So you are positive about this, up to a 2001 ohv, with all my "stuff", exhaust manifolds, egr, blah, blah, blah and a 97 flex plate and it will drop right in? I'm assuming since I'm using all my sensors, the 94 ecu will be fine. Would I use a 94 O2 sensor, or a 2001? what does OHV stand for anyway?

What happened is, a freeze plug went while the wife was driving, she never looked at the temp gauge and drove till it wouldn't run anymore. It starts and runs now but it's very rough, I'm afraid she cracked something. I'm going to plug the freeze plug hole this weekend andfill it with water and get it running and do a compression test. If its not broken, I'll replace all the freeze plugs and get it back on the road. If it is broken, which I'm sure it is from how rough it runs I'll do a junk yard 2001. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help!!

Over head Valve (pushrod)

As I said any OHV 4.0L that is in a Ranger or Explorer from 94-95-96 will work easily
97-2001 will also work

the block and heads remained pretty much the same for all years of the OHV (91-2001). Ford made improvements to it over that period of time, some years have EGR, some dont. The heads got stronger, sensors changed, the intake became plastic, etc etc but the physical dimensions of the block remained the same.

the big changes are 95+ stronger heads, plastic upper intake
97 new 8 bolt crank (to match the SOHC 4.0L is my guess, use the same trans parts)
98+ returnless style fuel rail

You will use your 94 EVERYTHING except for the lower intake, heads, and block. You can probably adapt other things to work, but the heads and engine are all you need.

Pull the 94
Get a junk yard running take out

put the two engines next to each other
use parts from th e94 to make th enew block identical, bolt it in

I have done this a few times....
I have a thread on here where I put a 97 OHV into a 95

awesome!! I appreciate your help!

Thanks

cool thread... I was also looking into doing a swap out like this but wanted to swap out the tranny to a 700r4. Will a OHV engine from any year bolt up to the 700r4 using the swap out kit from Advanced Adapters?

Back