Is there any difference from '95-'01 in the 4.0 OHV? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there any difference from '95-'01 in the 4.0 OHV?

Larry Hampton

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac XLT 2wd
My daughter's '00 OHV is using oil as fast as the Valdez leaked it.

I've found a replacement reman long block but the seller says '95-'97, he bought it by mistake thinking it was a SOHC.

I'm just curious if all my accessories will bolt up and sensors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I saw this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156120

and now I'm worried about the different compressions and fast burn heads. She had overheated the motor and I had to replace one head and had the other rebuilt. Is the compression difference in the heads or are the pistons different as well. I've been searching....

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123432

Post #5 mentions motor mount differences and I saw another post that talks about exhaust port sizes between the 95 and 98 heads, but it looked like the bolt patterns were the same, just the newer ports were smaller. I am guessing that maybe the exhaust manifolds are different as well.

The way I understood the two links at a quick read, is use your accessories from your current motor.

Your daughter's '00 model will have the 98-00 heads (supposed to be kinda like a hot rod head). No harm in using the 95-97 motor.

Long story short if folks with 91-94's can use the motors up to 2001 then I can't see an issue in putting a few years older motor in another truck.

Well the 95-97 motor is a reman long block so I'd have to, but it looks like I'd need different motor mounts and possibly different exhaust manifolds.

I may just rebuild my short block or go pick up a short block to rebuild.

Back