List of Useful Threads - Everything I know about the M5OD-R1 & BW1354M | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Everything I know about the M5OD-R1 & BW1354M

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where does the harness run to from the tranny? Is it hard wired to the engin harness or does it run to a plug somewhere. When I trace the haness it goes to the back of the motor and I loose sit of it. So I just assumed it was hardwired. But is it? If I can I would like to find a manual harness. Sorry if I seem ignorent. I just want this to go as smooth as I can make it. Thanks for all the help.

There is a plug in connector for the engine harness to trans harness. It sits on top of the bell housing, and is held in place by one of the top trans bolts. It is very hard to see, and you have to search for it. There is 2 connectors for the auto trans, one on each upper side of the bell housing. The manual only has one main connector to the engine harness.

Even with a trans harness, you might have to re-pin some wires, as the engine harness is also different for manuals. BUT....

Finding a same year Manual trans harness is in your best interest. ;)

Of course the engin harness is different! Thanks a bunch dude. Really appriciat your help.

Without the manual harness, your going to have to build your own.

I can't find a manual harness anywhere and ford discontinued them. Do you think its possible just to use the manual ecu and the auto harness and just jump the NSS wires and rewire the reverse switch. Without saving all the solenoids out of the auto. I don't care about throwing codes it just needs to run so I can go wheeling.

Try Car-parts.com and do a nationwide search. Most salvage yards will ship.

If no luck there, you can dissect the auto harness and use the vss connection, and find a connector for the reverse sensor and repin the main connector to the engine harness. Your going to have to find a wiring schematic for your make and year. Alldata is your best bet for that. A jumper for the nss will be needed if yours doesn't have the connector found by the ebrake pedal for the factory switch.

I found the connector by the ebrake pedal. Can I just plug that into my clutch pedal

I found the connector by the ebrake pedal. Can I just plug that into my clutch pedal

Do you have this already on the pedal?

Found here for example:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...WD/_/N-j9189Z9cjtk?itemIdentifier=229235_0_0_

Here is a back up light connector found at autozone as well.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...189Z9ck8s?itemIdentifier=876267_735542_0_3498

And the sensor for the trans:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...cio2?itemIdentifier=143693&_requestid=6987602

The VSS connector for the rear axle sensor:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...WD/_/N-j9189Z9ckn5?itemIdentifier=739244_0_0_

Yes I do. it came with the pedal assembly. I no longer have the VSS sensor on the rear diff dew to it being a dana 60 out of a 78 f250. I don't need a speedo.

Alright back from the dead. I've got a 1994 ranger 4.0 5pd 2wd that I am looking to convert to 4wd. My motor and transmission is very strong so I want to keep as many parts from my truck as I can. I've read that manual trucks are much easier. From what I understand I will need a rear bell housing and driveshaft from a 4x4 as it is longer and that a manual 1354 transfer case is the way to go. I'm guessing I will also need the cv shafts and all the other front components for driving and turning the front wheels. I will have help from some friends who have a better understanding of trucks than me as I am new to them. I apologize for being so ignorant. I went by my local scrap yard looking for ranger, b series, explorers etc this morning for 4x4s. I found 2 97 explorers and a 95 explorer . I also found an 85 bronco. All with 4wd. However all are automatic and my truck is manual so is there anything useful on those vehicles? The explorers all had an electronic 4x4 switch, the 97s options were auto, 4x4 high, low. Whereas the 95 had 2wd, 4x4 auto, 4x4 low. The bronco had the manual 4x4 shifter on the floor with 2H, 4H, N, and 4L. This interested me. I seem to remember seeing a pile of diffs but there may have been some transfer cases in there. Please give me direction.

Thanks,
Ben

You would need a 4x4 tail housing. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember reading something about the shaft needing swapped as well. Pretty sure that info is on here somewhere. Not sure you could find a used tail housing only or not. Most places do not like to separate. New is costly. Might be easier to just swap the trans complete with a used 4x4 manual.

The 2nd gens T-cases are the 4405's. There the auto clutch type, and not as strong or reliable as the 1354's. Since your not 4wd as is, the 1354 manual is the t-case for you. No wiring needed with this case.

Is your 94 Ranger TTB? I don't think you could use anything off those vehicles you posted about for your swap if so. Those models all have control arm IFS, and a completely different front drive set up, and steering.

Ya I figured the tail housing and shaft. Or just a whole 4x4 manual transmission. Then the 1354 manual transfer case. Now what about the rest of the front. I'm having a tough time figuring out what to do about axles, Cv shafts, spindles, hubs, etc. Any pointers there?

Ya I figured the tail housing and shaft. Or just a whole 4x4 manual transmission. Then the 1354 manual transfer case. Now what about the rest of the front. I'm having a tough time figuring out what to do about axles, Cv shafts, spindles, hubs, etc. Any pointers there?

Find a real 4x4 transmission instead. To convert a 2wd trans to 4x4 is unreasonable. You'll need at the very least a 4x4 tailhousing and 4x4 tail shaft, not to mention probably new bearings/seals, etc. Where are you going to find a 4x4 tailhousing and 4x4 tail shaft? Well, on an existing 4x4 transmission ... so just take the whole thing with you!

For your 4wd components, go to a junkyard. I don't know where you live, but the large Harry's U-Pull-It junkyards in Pennsylvania are rife with Explorers these days.

For serviceable parts like CV shafts, go with Duralast at Autozone. Lifetime warranties.

Good luck.

This m5od and wire harness is from a 92 explorer. I got it from a 93 explorer that had been swapped from the a4ld to this, and now I'm trying to put this in my 94 in place of the a4ld. Will my auto harness have all the same connections for the 5 speed? I don't want to frankenstein the wiring. Would it be easier to leave the auto harness in place and do some modifications to it, or try using the manual harness and if it doesn't connect to the auto plugs then do some modifications to it?

9ps5d3.jpg

This manual plug connects in two places on the transmission and leads to two circular plugs. One is gray and the other is black. The gray plug has two white/pink wires coming out that look like they used to be spliced together. The gray plug also has a red/blue wire that comes out of one pin and goes in another. The black plug has two wires going to it. Can anyone tell me where these plug into and what to do with the white pink wires that are just hanging?

6z7xms.jpg

abqd8x.jpg

Pretty sure the round black one is for a O2 sensor, and the gray one with the looped wire is a bypass for the starter, since it was used in a conversion.

The auto harness has many more connectors you will not need with the manual trans. If the manual trans already has a custom harness for the auto to manual conversion, why not just use it as is? Did something not work on the other rig with it? Like back up lights & cruise shut off?

I don't remember anything that didn't function. I broke the truck down as soon as I got it. I do know that the transmission is in good working order. I'm sure once I take the auto out I'll have a better understanding on what needs to be done with the wiring. Is that red loop on the trans harness the previous owners modification to get the truck to start after the conversion?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi im a new member

Im buying an automatic sohc explorer 2003. can you give me just a list of all that i will need to make it manual. I dont need sites where to buy them i get a discount at work. I need just a parts list. That would be help full

Back