• Register Today It's free!

exhast?

JeSSeJohn

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn University
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Explorer Sport v6
I have searched this site and am still hoping for some answers. I have a 98 2dr 4.0 Sport and was wanting to cut out my stock pipe and pay someone to weld in a flowmaster 40 series. I don't know what size of the inlet/outlet to buy (2.25,2.5 ?). I am also confused because the inlet / outlet pipes can come in and out in different locations (offset, center ?). It looks like my stock muffler is a lot longer than a flowmaster muffler. Can someone shed some like for me because I'm in the dark on this issue. What do I need to buy. THanks, you Guys seem to always have the answer!;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i suggest just going to a good exhaust shop and have them provide all the parts and stuff. They'll do a good job and you'll end up better off then sourcing your own parts.

Here are some thoughts:

Dead Link Removed

A quick look under the truck with a tape measure should answer most of your questions.

Robb

All the proformance shops around here rip everyone off. I just don't want to become another victim.

You are right, most "performance" shops are in the biz of ripping people off. What Alec is referring to is a GOOD exhaust shop. The best way to find a GOOD exhaust is to ask around. Ask anyone you know who works on cars and ask some of the local mechanics who they deal with when it comes to mufflers and exhaust.

I agree that a GOOD exhaust shop will give you exactly what you want for a good price.

Robb

Thanks guys. I guess its all about doing your homework and savin' some dough!

JeSSeJohn,
From my experience, the only homework you will need to do is find the right shop. The right shop will prolly not be one of these "chain store" muffler shops. What you want to find is the small "mom and pop" shops working out of a small garage somewhere who bend and weld their own stuff (They may have a "robot" man made of a muffler and pipes out front). Just make sure they put a lifetime warranty on ALL their parts. When you do find such a shop, if one exists in your town, just tell them exactly what you are looking for. Tell them if you are looking for performance, or sound, or duals. Most of the GOOD shops will work with you and hook you up with exactly what you are looking for at a good price and a warranty, even tho the muffler they use is not a brand name like Flowmaster.

You shouldn't be looking at more than $250 prolly.

Robb

Hey I have a BRAND NEW never opened Flowmaster 40 series Delta Flow I can sell you for $60 plus shipping ($70 flat) and will arrive at your doorstep in 2 days.

PM me if you're interested. I need to sell this muffler.

NM it's sold now to morrisey0...thanks!

Back