Exhaust Replacement on 1991 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Replacement on 1991 Explorer

swooper

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer
I replaced the exhaust on my 1991 with the Dynomax 17430 kit a long time ago and have been pretty happy with it. However, the muffler has developed significant holes and needs to be replaced. Looks like the 17430 isn't available anymore, but it looks like you can still get some parts of the kit separately. I believe he front pipe is Walker #43470 , the muffler is a Dynomax Super Turbo #17747 , and the rear pipe is a Dynomax #45274 .

Unfortunately the rear pipe isn't available anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a rear pipe that will be a direct fit with the 17747? Preferably without the resonator? I prefer not to get the 93-94 rear pipe as I understand it isn't a direct fit.

The other option is to just patch the rear tail pipe, which just has a few minor holes. However, I'm concerned about getting the muffler off without damaging the rear tail pipe. Is it possible if U-clamps were used to attach the rear pipe to the existing muffler?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I actually just ordered a Dynomax/Walker 17415 kit for about $140 shipped from RockAuto. I've had one before on a 4-door Explorer and was very happy with it, but I know in salty states they tend to rust out. For the price I figure it is worth it though.

I wonder if it might be worthwhile to paint it with exhaust paint, or have it coated by a local company in your area?

Regarding your u-clamp question, usually if you can remove the clamp you can work the pipes apart. Then you can use an exhaust expander/spreader tool to open the pipe back up again where it was crimped.

Thanks, but apparently the Dynomax 17415 isn't a direct fit in a 91-92. It is for a 93-94 which has a different hanger configuration. I'd like to avoid having to do any modifications to make it work.

If I do have to cut the muffler out and try to reuse the old tail pipe, can I use a piece of the same size pipe as an adapter to bridge the difference of what I had to cut out? Thanks.

If you got a friend with a welder, its a quick job to R&R a muffler. Even a muffler shop wouldn't charge you too much to do the work.

If I do have to cut the muffler out and try to reuse the old tail pipe, can I use a piece of the same size pipe as an adapter to bridge the difference of what I had to cut out? Thanks.

Most auto parts stores sell pieces of pipe to assemble and modify exhaust systems. You should be able to buy a coupler that would slip over the old pipe and the new pipe, and secure with clamps or a weld. When buying from a parts store you'll want to have your inner and outer pipe dimensions ready. For example if you are joining two pieces of pipe with a 2" outer diameter, and you want the coupler to slip over each, buy a coupler for 2" inner diameters.

Welds are better than connectors and clamps because clamped connections often leak. Try to minimize clamps for a long term solution, if you don't want leaks - consider just one clamped connection in the system to facilitate removal for maintenance.

If you got a friend with a welder, its a quick job to R&R a muffler. Even a muffler shop wouldn't charge you too much to do the work.

I do have access to a welder, but there are too many wholes and they're too big. Think it needs to be replaced.

I was able to replace just the muffler and salvage the tail pipe for now. Got the muffler off using an air hammer and special bit. Thanks everyone.

Back