exhaust leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

exhaust leak

EMBRACETHEHATE89

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Limited 4x4 Explorer
Any common places these things like to leak? I have looked under there and havent noticed anything as far as holes, but maybe a gasket went or what? Idling its fine, under acceleration its very noticable. I was going to take it to the muffler shop and have them deal with it, but who knows maybe its something simple?

It does have the original muffler still. Probably my biggest pet peeve is a exhaust leak LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By far the biggest common leak I have come across is the connection between the catalytic converter and muffler. The bracket just breaks down and you cant tighten it back up. Some times you can either jerry rig it, or even make new brackets to bolt it together again. Another very common spot is anywhere on the EGR pipe. They all fail at some point, the tube is just too thin for the hot exhaust.

I will check tmrw thank you

Might want to check to see if the muffler might have rusted a hole on it. I used seafoam to find my exhaust leak. Put a little into the intake through a vacuum source. When it starts to smoke have a second person hold a rag over the tail pipe to back up the smoke while you inspect around. Worked really well found my leak quickly.

If you don't have seafoam, water will do the same thing. A spray bottle would be best. It'll de carbon your engine at the same time.

I was under it today, nothing i could find. Altho some of the cats have a little black soot on them. So maybe they are going? Im gonna try yalls ideas after this weekend.

Back