• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust ??

Campoli

Reaction score
City, State
Dingmans Ferry PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
So my exhaust is pretty much toast and I notice there's a dual cat as well as others are they cats or resonators? I have several new mufflers Latin around so I'm good there but what's the best way to remove some of that crap for a more straight thru exhaust? If possible

I have a 2000 xls 4.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't remove them, you won't get more power, just more noise. Raspy noise at that, especially on your sohc.

The resonator is located behind the muffler and can be taken off for a more aggressive sound.

To discuss removing a catalytic convertor on this forum requires a lawyer a large bottle of Aspirin.

From muffler forward it's dual cats then a resonator I need a full exhaust do the make performance headers for second gen 6's

Yes, they make headers.

from the manifold back, you have dual cats, a muffler, then resonator.

Cutting out the resonator with a stock style muffler will give you a little more high frequency noise. If you remove the resonator, you'll want a different style muffler.

JBA and Gibson make headers for your sploder. The Gibson ones you can get in stainless steel or natural, the JBA you can get in ceramic coated, stainless or natural. There are also several cat-backs available to you or you can make your own.

No res after my muffler just long run of pipe but before my cat is a little triangle lookin thing
And thanks ill go check out some headers

So another question I just found the Gibson headers now with all the other **** on my exhaust I guess it's the front cat then the dual cats then my muffler
But when I build my new exhaust what can I leave out that wont screw with my o2 sensors I already plan on using a muffler I already have its 2.5" in and out but from the header to the muffler what should I do I'm lost I've only done exhausts on muscle cars, eclipses, and my silverado ford has always confused me with all thee cat nonsense
I'm new to the SUV scene too but I'm into it now lol and there are 0 sploders in my area all Cherokees so it's time I show them what's up once I get a chance to get on my laptop ill upload before and after pics I've orderd tons of mods so exhaust is next on my list while waiting for my goodies to arrive so all tips and input on what to and to not do is much appreciated

Really need suggestions about the cats so I can order the right pipe
Please

Just leave them in place. The headers bolt right up to them and there is actually NO performance gain from removing them. Modern catalytic converters are not a restriction in your exhaust system, and they haven't been since the late 70s, early 80s. Car manufacturers demanded high flow catalytic converters so they could keep up with fuel economy requirements while still meeting emissions requirements.

Plus, you are in a state that checks emissions. Removing them equals failing your emissions, and driving on a road without them equals a $1500 fine.

If you want to modify your exhaust, put the headers on, then do a cat back exhaust. 2.25-2.5" pipe into a flow through muffler. Put a short glass pack in if you think the pitch is too high. Chambered mufflers like Flowmasters sound like poopie on the SOHC, but that is just my opinion.

Ok so my entire system is rotted except for my front cat ill just order headers and another dual rear cat then run 2.5" from there to the thrust muffler I plan on using and that should be fine. Correct?

Thrush*

Yeah, that should work. You should be able to find universal hi flow cats to match your original and save you money on getting the whole cat pipe assemblies. Then your plan for the rest of it should work fine. Like I said, you might consider throwing a short glass pack on there too, just to lower the pitch a little. That will all keep you emissions friendly and give you a bit of noise when you step on the skinny pedal.

Excellent thanks FIND much appreciated

Ok so I'm trying to order my cars but online it's asking me if I have E K or X engine code where do I find that answer

Your vin...
look at the 8th digit

Back