Explorer 4.0L & 5.0L Parts Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 4.0L & 5.0L Parts Question

Azy

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver Island, British Columbia.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XL 4x4
I'm curious if I bought a 2000 explorer 5.0L if the body parts and leather seats would be swappable on my 96 explorer 4.0L xl. Please let me know thanks. Azy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think for the most part, yes.

Hood? yes.
Front fenders? yes
Doors would physically fit but the plugs may be different.
Rear hatch is swappable but needs the corresponding tail lights.

Bumpers are likely swappable too.

I would think for the most part, yes.
How about the interior? My truck has cloth seats the explorer 5.0L for parts has leather and I would like to swap them

How about the interior? My truck has cloth seats the explorer 5.0L for parts has leather and I would like to swap them

I'm quite certain they would bolt in just fine, but again the plugs for power might be different.

I'm quite certain they would bolt in just fine, but again the plugs for power might be different.
Great thanks for your help mine doesn't have power seats so I'll just probably cut the wires or tuck them in on the leather ones

The leather ones are probably power, the driver's side likely will be. How will you then adjust it?

I guess you could try changing the underside portion of the seats over..

The leather ones are probably power, the driver's side likely will be. How will you then adjust it?

I guess you could try changing the underside portion of the seats over..
Yea I thought of that but I will probably adjust it to what feels right in the parts truck then throw it in rather have leather then the ugly cloth even if I can't adjust them if I'm feeling adventurous I will rig up something that moves it

My main question is why is the 5.0 Limited a parts truck? Sounds like from my end, if you got the paperwork to fix the Limited and drive it, that'd be the better truck.

The 5.0L needs a complete engine tune up and the tranny is **** so I will have to replace that too much time and money
My main question is why is the 5.0 Limited a parts truck? Sounds like from my end, if you got the paperwork to fix the Limited and drive it, that'd be the better truck.

Ohh, makes sense, I can see where you're coming from.

hood if i am not wrong is a tad different. it has something to do with they way they latch, or the way the latch is mounted or bolted into it

The seats will swap, including the seat tracks. If you don't want the power seat tracks, just swap the seats. Keep your manual seat tracks, the other seats bolt right on, using the same four bolts.

I'd fix the 2000 302 Explorer, at a decent cost for the trans and engine. The reliability of the V8 is way better than the V6 trans. Hunt around before giving up on the V8 truck, try to find a decent 98-01 4R70W, even a V6 Mustang(two bolt starter) in the 98-04 range is a usable trans. The 2WD/4WD must match too, or you'll have to swap the output shaft and tail housing. Good luck,

Rear hatch is swappable but needs the corresponding tail lights.

Some people who have swapped are having/had issues making the rear wiper function correctly.

The later rear hatch has the license plate area in it. If you keep your 96 bumper, you'll have two places to put your plate.

hood if i am not wrong is a tad different. it has something to do with they way they latch, or the way the latch is mounted or bolted into it

I believe this is correct. I have a 96, and pulled the parts to convert mine to the later gen, but never did it so far.

Wait, the hoods are different between a 96 and 2000? Can it be changed to work? I have a line on a hood for my white truck and it's coming off a 96 for a 2000.

this is a 99 hood (98 is the same, cant remember if a 97 is or not)

18386734_10154411243237513_304847423_n.jpg

this is a 96 hood. the pictures suck, sorry about that. the difference is how the latches mount, and the latches themselves

18360506_10154411243417513_1988481155_n.jpg

Well it's a great thing I didn't spring for that 96 hood looks like so far, did spring for the Limited grille though, love that white on white look in mine.

Well, I said it would fit... never said it would close :D
I'd imagine with some ingenuity you could swap hoods.

There's so many small differences with lots of the parts on Explorers between the different years, some things you'd think would be simple end up being a pain in the butt.

Back