Explorer 5.0 awd transfer case swap. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 5.0 awd transfer case swap.

DUDER 1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nomad
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Hello so i have been getting everything ready to start my sas on my 5.0 explorer, and i dont wat to leave it awd. I was wondering if anyone has done a t-case swap. I have heard youcan use a t-case out of a f-150. Please ponit me in the right direction because i do not have a clue. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet ill check it out i dont think the awd would do so good with my sas. Thanks alot.

So i am a little confused about the spedo gear thing. What year do i need, do i need the spedo gear or not. Thank you i am confused

So i am a little confused about the spedo gear thing. What year do i need, do i need the spedo gear or not. Thank you i am confused

it depends on what year your Explorer is, something you haven't mentioned in the thread.

look at your t-case; does it have a VSS in it? I believe it was somewhere in the 1997 MY that they removed the VSS from the t-case.
If you have a 98+ it will not be in the t-case.
If it's a '97, it's iffy.
If it's a '96, it will be in the t-case.

Its a 1998. Im not sure of the month though. I am going to the local yard on my day off to look for one,

Its a 1998. Im not sure of the month though. I am going to the local yard on my day off to look for one,

if it's a '98, the month won't matter.
you can use a 4406 whether or not it has the sensor.

Ok thats good, the wiring thread for the 4x4 lights should be about the same no matter the year right. Just to make sure i can get a bw 4406 from 1997-2003 sensored or not and ill be good. Thank you.

Back