• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 5R55E trans

purevenom1

Reaction score
City, State
Angier, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Ok I am sure someone here will know the answer or correct if I am wrong. I am looking at getting a used trans from a junkyard to have as a backup so when mine goes out I can have a fairly quick turnaround on getting it back on the road.

Its a 2000 Ford Explorer w/ the OHV motor. I have looked at Car-parts.com and they ahve somewhat reassured me of what I thought I already knew. The only ones that they are showing will work w/ my explorer and engine is a 99-00 Explorer w/ the OHV.

The explorers w/ the SOHC will work from 98-02 according to their listings. I am correct on this or misled.

Sorry no more concrete info, but anyhoo, if you buy bone-yard, try to see them yank the trans. out of a wrecked vehicle. Then you got some assurance the trans. was still working......otherwise, they'll guarantee it----- to the extent they will replace it, AFTER of course you bust your a$$ pulling their defective one back out......imp

Most of the jubk yards around me here have a 30 day gaurantee but I hate to put it in to find out its bad. Ive been checking car-parts.com but some of their used prices are just as high as rebuilt or new or way to many miles. I think some of the warranties are only 30 days or so. Automotix have them also but they are a little more and have a better warranty too.

Ive been checking car-parts.com but some of their used prices are just as high as rebuilt or new ..

You can thank Obama and his cash-for-clunkers for that one.

As far as the warranty goes, since you aren't going to be installing it right away, the warranty is going to expire while the transmission sits on the floor in a corner of your garage.

Back