Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

My wind noise is awful, they replaced the seals and its still there. There is a Ford Engineer coming to the dealership to check it out this week. We'll see what they say.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For everyone dealing with this issue, is your dealer giving you a vehicle to drive while your Ex remains in the shop for this? I need to take mine in but can't be without a vehicle too much.

Deflector

I took mine to the dealership today for the A-Pillar rattling sound. I did a test drive with the technician and he heard the sound loud and clear.

Coming back to the dealership, he tried uninstalling the deflector (I don't know if it's the right translation for the thing that's installed at the front of the car, just under the hood to protect from rocks that could hit the front while driving).

To my stupefaction, the rattle sound disapeared! What I think is that the deflector is creating a whirlwind that makes the air come through the windshield a certain way and is causin the rattle.

DO you guys having the rattle sound had a deflector installed?

Any thoughts?

Deflector

I took mine to the dealership today for the A-Pillar rattling sound. I did a test drive with the technician and he heard the sound loud and clear.

Coming back to the dealership, he tried uninstalling the deflector (I don't know if it's the right translation for the thing that's installed at the front of the car, just under the hood to protect from rocks that could hit the front while driving).

To my stupefaction, the rattle sound disapeared! What I think is that the deflector is creating a whirlwind that makes the air come through the windshield a certain way and is causin the rattle.

DO you guys having the rattle sound had a deflector installed?

Any thoughts?

I have both a new windshield and the A-Pillar replaced (at the same time) due to being shattered during a hail storm. Since then, i have on a few occasions gotten the buzzing windshield noise that comes and goes, as well as what i perceive to be more air noise inside the cabin. It's almost impossible to predict the windshield noise so no point in leaving it with dealer, but the increased air noise is apparent to me, but i know the dealer is just going to shrug it off or tell me to go back to the glass guy or body shop. Anyone else have this problem? Its not your standard A-pillar issue

In my xlt which is an early build (11/23/10. The stupidity of Ford corporate and the dealer continues. After too many issues to bring up again after the supposed fixes for the A pillar noise and a windshield replacement at a different time the right A- pillar blew off the car, the other side is cracked. I went to the dealer, a 50 mile trip and was told will order parts, fine. Came back the next week and guess what? They didn't order all the parts. So back again for the third time tomorrow to fix.hope the parts are in. I don't know if the dealer knows how to dial a phone to the customer. This makes about 12 trips back to the dealer in Fl. and MN. to fix all the various problems with this car. Not a happy camper. Wishing I never bought this vehicle, but to trade back to an Expedition would probably cost too much to go up a year. I loved the last three Expeditions we had and of the three only one went back to the dealer for a minor upholstery fix. Still a Ford man (13 new in a row).just never again an early build of a new model.

My original A pillars were fine, but then the finish went bad on them and they had to be replaced.. The left one was installed properly, but the right one is rattling now... Ugh!! Plus the B pillar they put on was scratched!

And I brought the car in clean, it was filthy (the parts were dirty, handprints everywhere). I just don't have any luck with that dealership at all.

GVerreault

Interesting report. I am running a hood deflector on mine. Had the gaskets replaced and the rattle dissappeared from the passenger side for about 2 weeks then it came back. Its possible the air flow is disrupted and cause the gaskets to lift over time. I solved it myself by running a bead of RTV gasket maker under the strip. Still running the hood deflector and have had no issues for about 4 months now with the rattle.

I too have joined the A-pillar rattle club :( my mileage is 4000+ miles.

Prior to that it didn't rattle, looks like an issue that develops after some amount of use (at least 4000 miles for me).

Sending a PM to Cory for help (dealer wants to reproduce the issue first).

Also meant to ask the forum: Is there a documented fix for this? (A TSB or some such reference-able document I can share with my service rep).

Many Thanks!

Cory,

I sent you a PM. Took the car to the dealer and the Body Shop manager would like you to call him. He said he could not find a TSB and would like some more informaiton. Someone mentioned in the shop that taking off the current A-Frame may cause the windshield to break.

I feel really nervous now that I left it there!

This a "fix" that I've pondered as well. My guess is that Ford will not spend the money to engineer a retro-fix for the A-Pillar, opting instead to fix it later when the A-Pillar is redesigned. I'm betting that black silicone becomes the standard method to address this widesread problem.

Let us know how it goes...

--It has worked like a charm for the past 3 weeks! You really can't tell that there is any silicone on the joint unless you truly are looking for it. I would recommend that you have the dealer apply the silicone and make sure they document that they did it on the service sheet, that way if it is ever an issue its not your problem. My dealership told me that Ford recommend this as a last resort (ie, when customers just don't give up and live with the noise). Is this a permanent fix? Absolutely not, but it will keep me from going insane until Ford actually does release a legitimate fix for this issue.
***GOOD LUCK!!***

Wind-noise solved, until actual fix is released by ford..

This a "fix" that I've pondered as well. My guess is that Ford will not spend the money to engineer a retro-fix for the A-Pillar, opting instead to fix it later when the A-Pillar is redesigned. I'm betting that black silicone becomes the standard method to address this widesread problem.

Let us know how it goes...

--It has worked like a charm for the past 3 weeks! You really can't tell that there is any silicone on the joint unless you truly are looking for it. I would recommend that you have the dealer apply the silicone and make sure they document that they did it on the service sheet, that way if it is ever an issue its not your problem. My dealership told me that Ford recommend this as a last resort (ie, when customers just don't give up and live with the noise). Is this a permanent fix? Absolutely not, but it will keep me from going insane until Ford actually does release a legitimate fix for this issue.
***GOOD LUCK!!***

...This makes about 12 trips back to the dealer in Fl. and MN. to fix all the various problems with this car...
...The left one was installed properly, but the right one is rattling now...
snowbird & SeaFoam,

I want to help you get this noise resolved by forwarding your details to the Customer Service Manager in your region. All I would need is a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, VIN, and mileage.

...Sending a PM to Cory for help...
Cory,

I sent you a PM...
charliez & Woolaroc,

I’ve been out of the office for two days so I wasn’t able to answer you right away. I’ll send you a reply as soon as I can.

Cory

My car has been in the dealership for 14 days of the last 3 weeks, and no they dont give you a rental car even with warranty work. Luckily we have a 3rd car.

2 Explorer in less than 45 days

Because of the wind noise and the fact that is probable a safety issue the dealer took back both units. they didn't find anything wrong but they took back the suv's..... looking for the 2012 model, but first a long test drive.....
BTW both were dated 6/11.

My local dealer put on the service order that the rattling at highway speeds was due to the car seats in our middle row. While I would agree that the car seats make noise, they weren't in the car when we experienced the noise!

And add to that the bumper skirt issue that they say was caused by dragging the bumper, not the clip being misaligned.

Gonna have a fun chat if the service advisor ever calls me back!

I have a 2012 Explorer. I noticed a rattling and wind whistling sound the first time I took it out on the highway. I took it to the dealer and at first they said they could not hear it. I told them to try again and sure enough they heard it. They told me they fixed it but after about 30 minutes of driving it.. it started all over again. When I asked them what they did to fix it they said they had adjusted the doors. This noise is LOUD....... I have put tape down both sides of the windsheid to stop the rattling because I couldn't stand it...It helped a bit but the whistling continues. When I call the shop they act like there is nothing they can do but to bring it in??? . You would think when you buy a new vehicle you wouldn't have to drive around with tape running down the front windsheild. Not happy with the 2012 explorer at all.

theres a TSB on the A pillar now....read through this thread and you'll see.....take it back to the dealer and have them make the repairs. i think they replace the gasket or something

same thing

I have a 2012 Explorer. I noticed a rattling and wind whistling sound the first time I took it out on the highway. I took it to the dealer and at first they said they could not hear it. I told them to try again and sure enough they heard it. They told me they fixed it but after about 30 minutes of driving it.. it started all over again. When I asked them what they did to fix it they said they had adjusted the doors. This noise is LOUD....... I have put tape down both sides of the windsheid to stop the rattling because I couldn't stand it...It helped a bit but the whistling continues. When I call the shop they act like there is nothing they can do but to bring it in??? . You would think when you buy a new vehicle you wouldn't have to drive around with tape running down the front windsheild. Not happy with the 2012 explorer at all.

I have the same problem on my 2012 as well. My dealership won't even spend any minute working on it because I have a hood deflector that was not installed by FORD. However, the deflector as the same form and shape that the ones from Ford...

I've put tape aswell and the rattling stops...

Overall I like the car, but very disapointed by my dealer who won't even look at it. He did not find any message or TSB for the 2012...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys if you are fed up with the noise and don't want to deal with it and the dealer use some RTV high temp gasket seal. It worked on mine. Its not worth the battle, fix it and move on.

Back