Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

Great news, glad it's fixed. Chicago Assembly Plant is were it is built, and there is an engineering team in the plant that works on manufacturing issues that come up, and they folllow the isues of vehicle in use. Great process.

Gerry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Picked up my EX this morning with the new A Pillar moldings installed.
Driving home on the interstate at 75-80 mph the rattle noise is just as bad if not worse.

I'm going to try some tape and see if I can isolate the location.
Just don't have the time to take it back in right now.

that sucks....i saw someone on here posting that you have to make sure the dealership orders the correct gasket. the thicker one needs to be applied. a few pages back on this thread is a post with the actual part numbers, you may want to check to see if your dealership ordered those parts....

i drove around a bit today but didn't get on the highway. i haven't heard any rattle yet. so i hope mine is actually fixed....

At what point is this issue going to qualify for a TSB or Recall. I've had the buzz and whistle through two sets of windshields and two sets of A-Pillars, as well as having the dealer supposedly "adjust the mouldings." of course when the tech brings the car back to me there is no noise. Yet day later the noise comes back. ITs such a drag going back to the dealer constantly, even worse driving 5 hours with kids int he car listening to the goddamn buzz.

I think the dealer genuinely is having problems diagnosing the problem and Ford continues to sell cars with the problem.

Just heard the buzz

In case Cory is keeping stats I thought I would post that my 2012 XLT built Sept 9th just had the A-pillar buzz noise happen. I drove on a different highway than I normally drive on to/from work. This one was not as "tree lined" and maybe this allowed some type of cross wind to come into play. It came from the passenger side and I figured it would come from the driver side since the day I picked it up that side molding was loose to the touch.

I also have streaky windows and occasional annoying MFT issues. Spoke with the dealer about the streaky windows TSB and they said come on in anytime. But like alot of us, my time is limited and I can't spend it waiting around at a dealer. So I guess I will deal with these until the first oil change (which I going to myself and time I didn't want to spend arranging for) and have the dealer attempt the fixes.

This is my 4th Ford, still consider myself a fanboy, but they are starting to lose me.

I confirmed your PM got to me, jbbx4. My inbox is a little swamped at the moment, so I’ll send you a reply as soon as I can. :)

For all those who’ve noticed a wind noise, I’m available to help by sending your details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. So I can do that, please PM your contact info, VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Cory,

3 times in the shop for the whistling noise on the passenger side and each time they claim it is nothing. What are you frowarding to my CSM as they are pleading ignorant?

Starting to really regret buying a Ford product and and would like some real help.

I've noticed a noise on the passenger side of my limited since the day I bought mine,but thought this was normal till the dealer I got mine at got a couple of 2012 explorers in so I stoped and drove one. No noise in the 12, so I took a service tech on a drive and he was able to hear the noise himself, now we will see what they do to fix it next Tuesday. I sent Cory a pm hoping he can call the dealer and get them started in the right direction. I will post after I see how they fix it. If I put duct tape all the way down the passenger side windshield the noise goes away. Sounds like the A pillar trim and rubber seal need replaced.

What does your noise sound like? Mine resembles the passenger window not being rolled all the way up, (even though it is), with a combination wind/whistling sound. Gets worse as the speed increases and can get really bad when its windy outside.

that sucks....i saw someone on here posting that you have to make sure the dealership orders the correct gasket. the thicker one needs to be applied. a few pages back on this thread is a post with the actual part numbers, you may want to check to see if your dealership ordered those parts....

i drove around a bit today but didn't get on the highway. i haven't heard any rattle yet. so i hope mine is actually fixed....

I don't think Ford is communicating with their dealerships on this issue. There should be a formal TSB on this to replace both the upper trim as well as the bottom gasket part. The dealership replaced just the upper black trim part
BB5Z-7803137 AA, but not the bottom, and it was not successful. In fact it is worse.
Why can't Ford just come out and admit this is a ****ty design and create a document so dealers can fix this correctly? It's just costing both dealerships and customers more aggravation with call backs.

While there may be some level of aggravation for the dealerships I'd be surprised if it is much as each service/repair is revenue for them.

Hello Cory,

I'm new to forum and found it by searching for wind noise in a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT. I've experienced similar noises around my windshield. When driving around 50-60 MPH, there is a faint whistling noise about 80% of the time. When speed is increased, the noise becomes more pronounced. Additionally, if there is a crosswind, the noise increases further along with a "flapping" noise in the pillar area of the passenger side. It's very annoying. I've had the vehicle about 3 months.

Any suggestions as to what it might be?

Thanks,
Warren

...3 times in the shop for the whistling noise on the passenger side and each time they claim it is nothing. What are you frowarding to my CSM as they are pleading ignorant?...
757driver,

I send your Explorer’s info (VIN & mileage), your contact information, and your dealership’s details. I also forward a copy of your message along with a summary of the concern. Drop me a line via PM if you’d like me to arrange another follow-up call.

...I'm new to forum and found it by searching for wind noise in a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT. I've experienced similar noises around my windshield. When driving around 50-60 MPH, there is a faint whistling noise about 80% of the time...Any suggestions as to what it might be?...
Welcome to the forum, Warren. I’m not a technician so I’m not familiar with the repair process. I’m available to help by forwarding this to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do that, send a PM with the details I mentioned above. :)

Cory

In case Cory is keeping stats I thought I would post that my 2012 XLT built Sept 9th just had the A-pillar buzz noise happen...
I also have streaky windows and occasional annoying MFT issues...
tucker_bmd,

I want to help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. I already have your VIN from previous messages, so send a PM with your contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Picked up my EX this morning with the new A Pillar moldings installed.
Driving home on the interstate at 75-80 mph the rattle noise is just as bad if not worse...
jrichracing,

I still have your Explorer’s info from before, so drop me a line if you’d like me to arrange another call.

...I've had the buzz and whistle through two sets of windshields and two sets of A-Pillars, as well as having the dealer supposedly "adjust the mouldings." of course when the tech brings the car back to me there is no noise. Yet day later the noise comes back...
Black Mounty,

I want to see your concern resolved once and for all. Please send a PM with the details I mentioned above so I can assist.

Cory

Cory,

Did you receive my DM? I sent it 4 days ago and have not heard from you.

I want to see your concern resolved once and for all. Please send a PM with the details I mentioned above so I can assist.

Cory

I truly feel for those here that are having the same issues we had. Cory, I have to ask this but someone by now at Ford is taking a larger look at this issue. This doesn't appear to be an isolated issue on a few cars. I suspect there are a good number of EX's out there and the owners just aren't sure what to do about it or they just figure to live it. Just wondering if Ford is taking a hard look at this. I haven't seen any specific TSB's on this yet.

Just wondering.

And for those that caught my post on the weathertech's, I did sell my them to a member here, thanks for asking about them!

Cheers

RR

Cory, were you able to contact the Customer Service Manager in my area? I sent you a PM last week and you said that you received it. Thanks for any help you can give me.
(Again, I would love to get rid of that electrical tape on my windshield molding!)
Russ

(Again, I would love to get rid of that electrical tape on my windshield molding!)
Russ

Sealing the gasket to the windshield with automotive silicone or gasket sealer is the only real fix. The design of the current parts is faulty, and just reseating or replacing the moldings/covers will not work long term.

I'm with an earlier poster here - consider me a "fanboy", but the lack of visible effort from Ford to address this widespread issue is very disconcerting.

Hey Guys!

Cory is out today. To everyone who still has a PM to Cory that is pending a response, we will be jumping in to answer the ones we can today.

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding :D.

If you need anything before he returns to work, please don't hesitate to contact our Customer Relationship Center @ 800.392.3673 (M-F 8-8 EST).

You can also reach Seni & Tasha via Twitter @FordCustService or Jamie at Ford on Facebook.com/Ford.

Have a great day!

Melissa

My wife just talked to our Ford dealer service representative and she was told that "the parts are in" for the windshield molding replacement. So, I guess they had no problem with Ford in getting new parts. They are still waiting on a spring that popped out of the rear passenger door handle. Has anyone else had this problem? My daughter went to open the rear door and a spring flew out and we never did find it. The dealer agreed that the whole handle assembly has to be changed.

Took mine to the dealer tonight, when I ask what the plan was they told me they were going to drive it tomorrow and see what to do... I already took a tech for a drive, he heard the noise, I researched the problem for them and gave the tech a parts list to fix, and lots of web research to back up the A pillar moldings needing replaced. Now they will prob have my explorer for a week. Great service from ford!! I'll post after the brains look over it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dealer fixed it!! Everything is now good. No noise or rattle in a cross wind, replaced both A pillar moldings and trim. The new moldings ara a lot harder. They don't flap in the wind.

Back