Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wind whistle at highway speeds in crosswinds is very common on any vehicle. Often, it is the antenna that is the source. That's why some have candle tapers on them, and other have a spiral twist of metal along the shaft. This breaks up the noise. Mobile antennas have the twist too.

Also, the windshield moldings can have tiny gaps tht let air under them. This is how musical instruments work. Same principle. I have seen some cars where you can press on the glass at the top center and make the sound change.

Gerry

Gerry

I agree with you. I have heard various wind noise in the 1500 miles I have driven my Ex so far, but nothing that I haven't heard before in any of my cars or even in my house. We get some pretty strong winds, 50mph is not uncommon, and a normal day has 15 to 20 mph winds. The two distinct sounds I have heard are the normal low frequency buffet from the wind and a higher pitched whistle that comes with a crosswind at just the right angle. I haven't heard any rattle sounds as of yet, so it appears my moldings are secure.

Everyone must realize that this is a big, tall, boxy vehicle and any crosswind is going create vortices and eddies that probably weren't checked for in a wind tunnel.

I was faked out today.

While driving on the highway doing about 55mph I noticed a noise coming from the windshild. I thought the dreaded a pillar finally got me. After some investigation I notice the glue to the vent shade that I had installed on the passenger side window came loose and was vibrating. I made a tempo repair and noise was gone. Still zero problems.;)

Cross winds today were bad (35-40) gusts, the A-pillar was flapping bad, it looks like rubber seal is moving out of place from the plastic?

As someone who's Explorer is being built today or early this week, this A-pillar rattle issue really has me concerned...
InTheAir,

The factory has been made aware so they are careful when installing them. :)

Cory, I re-sent the message.
Thanks for the heads up, RTrahan. I checked and saw that the message made it to my inbox this time. There are a couple PMs before yours, so I’ll reply when I can.

Hey Cory not sure if you read my post, just up a few. What can I do in my situation were the speed limit prevents them from replicating it unless they drive up island 200km's. Ford Canada's suggest was not exactly helpful.
I can see where that might pose a dilemma, Mishtar. I want to see this taken care of for you. I already have your VIN from previous messages, so please send a PM with your contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer details.

Cory

I'm not sure I understand what your intepretation of buffeting is. Mine is the air that comes in through the moon roof or a partailly opened window and it basically compresses the air like blowing into a paer bag. It hurts your ear drums if it's bad enough. Opening a rear window will make it go away. That is why moonroofs have air defelectors that pop up when you open the glass.
please explain what you are experiencing.
You may be talking about air turbulance, like when the air has to go past the mirrors, or arund other objects on the vehicle. the mirror turbulance is a biggie and it makes the mirror glass flutter. Worse in a cross wind.

Gerry

I agree, when i think of buffeting i think of the cracked windows and the beating pressure. This was the term that Fords field service was using. The sound we hear is the air coming up the windshield and over the top, with all of the windows and moon roof closed. So I think turbulence is the right term. I cant help but think that the gap between the windshield and the roof line is contributing to the noise. I am going to try taping the top of the windshield and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Brandon

I agree, when i think of buffeting i think of the cracked windows and the beating pressure. This was the term that Fords field service was using. The sound we hear is the air coming up the windshield and over the top, with all of the windows and moon roof closed. So I think turbulence is the right term. I cant help but think that the gap between the windshield and the roof line is contributing to the noise. I am going to try taping the top of the windshield and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Brandon
I doubt the gap is causing your problem Brandon. I have the same gap and have not noticed any noise at all. I have been driving mine since mid March and wind noise at the worst of times is not very noticeable.

Peter

Cory, I read the confirmation in your earlier message that you received my PM this time. I probably screwed up the first one because I could not find a record of it. I hope that you can help me with this rattle problem by notifying our Ford service people that there is something that can be done. I would love to get rid of the electrical tape on my windshield molding :)
Russ

I want to report that having both A - Pillars replaced on my 2011 Explorer has worked. The noises and vibrations have not returned since I got the replacement.

The A - Pillars used to be all wiggly and you could easily press down on the A - Pillars. After the replacement, the A - Pillars are on there rock solid. Dealer said they put a thicker gasket to prevent the wind from going under the A - Pillar which caused the buzzing noises.

...I hope that you can help me with this rattle problem by notifying our Ford service people that there is something that can be done. I would love to get rid of the electrical tape on my windshield molding :)
Russ
I’m definitely happy to help, Russ. When I reply to your PM, I’ll arrange for the Customer Service Manager in your area to call you as well. :)

Cory

I've noticed a noise on the passenger side of my limited since the day I bought mine,but thought this was normal till the dealer I got mine at got a couple of 2012 explorers in so I stoped and drove one. No noise in the 12, so I took a service tech on a drive and he was able to hear the noise himself, now we will see what they do to fix it next Tuesday. I sent Cory a pm hoping he can call the dealer and get them started in the right direction. I will post after I see how they fix it. If I put duct tape all the way down the passenger side windshield the noise goes away. Sounds like the A pillar trim and rubber seal need replaced.

update: got my A pillar fixed today. so far it hasn't made the noise yet on the freeway. i'll have to give it some more seat time to see if it comes back....

side note: for those in Houston/Spring area, Lone Star Ford has some great people that work in sales/finance/and especially service dept. they have a "rewards" program that gives you a key chain card and a regular sized credit card (like Kroger grocery store), and any time you go to get your oil changed, just show that card and the oil changes are only $11.95. well, i haven't received my card yet and the service guy said it was ok, that he'll still honor the price....cool.....i also mentioned to him about what my sales guy told me "if you give me all 5 stars on the survey, i'll get you a free tank of gas".....so the service guy said he'll honor that too, he just had to check with someone in the back office......

well, 2 hours later, he brings my truck around and says i'm ready to go...A pillar fixed, gas tank full, and fresh oil/fluid levels....i go to the cashier expecting to pay the $11.95 for the oil change, when the service guy comes to me and said the first oil change was on him.....SWEET!!!

walked outta there without spending a dime.

...I sent Cory a pm hoping he can call the dealer and get them started in the right direction. I will post after I see how they fix it. If I put duct tape all the way down the passenger side windshield the noise goes away. Sounds like the A pillar trim and rubber seal need replaced.
I confirmed your PM got to me, jbbx4. My inbox is a little swamped at the moment, so I’ll send you a reply as soon as I can. :)

For all those who’ve noticed a wind noise, I’m available to help by sending your details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. So I can do that, please PM your contact info, VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Brandon,

OK. I use a stethescope with a long hose on it to pinpoint the source of the noise intrusion. let me give yopu a couple of ideas. First, yes, tape off the entire top of the windshield molding and make sure the tape doesn't flutter. Another source of noise is if the moonroof seal is compromised. Another source of wind turbulance is the luggage rack cross bars, On my Villager, I have my front bar adjusted all the way rearward and it helps a lot. You can buy a cheap stethescope from Harbor Freight and take the metal probe off and install a 3 ft section of clear hose. Also, if the antenna is removeable, take it off and drive in a crosswind to see what affect it has. I used to diagnose windnosie & water leaks on cars all the time. You find some unusual things.

Gerry

A Pillar fix

Just dropped off my 2012 EX at the Dealer today for the A Pillar fix. I hope these new parts take care of the noise issues for good.

Seeing how I am pretty quick to complain on this forum, let me offer praise when do...

I took my X back in to the dealer last week for the A-Pillar rattle (again) and the windshield whistle (again). After 6 days in the shop, replacing both A-Pillars twice (yes that's twice) and replacing the windshield, I no longer have either the rattle or the whistle. I am keeping my fingers crossed as I have only driven on the highway in a decent wind twice since then but so far so good.

My service advisor was great and I truly believe that he wanted to fix my problem. He got his manager involved and the manager said he called Ford in Detroit to talk to an engineer (who ultimately was in Chicago).

It was nice to know that someone had my back. As of now, I am completely satisfied with my Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let us know

Back