Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 56 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

I got the tsb done and now I have an awful rattle. I went back to the dealer and they said the clips don't look right. They ordered me new clips. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I've had the truck back for a little over a week now and the trim piece is still on the truck. Unfortunately my wife doesn't want to drive the truck anymore, so I'm driving it now. She is now driving a brand new 2013 Dodge Durango that doesn't have plastic pieces around the windshield that could fly off. This Ford is costing me even more money than I signed up for in the beginning.

I got the tsb done and now I have an awful rattle. I went back to the dealer and they said the clips don't look right. They ordered me new clips. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Hi foxtemple,

I want to look into this and see how I can help. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get to work!

So I've had the truck back for a little over a week now and the trim piece is still on the truck...

Hi jl27,

I'm glad to hear that your truck is repaired. If you need anything in the future, just give me a shout.

Crystal

My right A-Pillar fell off this past week while driving 60mph on a freeway. Just missed the car behind me. I had to retrieve it and almost got hit myself! Dealer replace both sidesm hopefully it holds!

Passenger side broke halfway up and flew off while driving last fall on my 2013. Dealer said 2013 wasn't covered by TSB. I blew up. They replaced both sides under warranty. It's been fine since.

My 2013 obviously should have had the updated trim from the factory, but it fails, too. It's been 6 months, knock on wood.

I had the tsb done and the sound at highway speeds is gone. Now I get this creak type sound when going over bumps and it seems to be coming from the a pillar. It sounds like they are attached with scotch tape and the tape is coming loss (I know they aren't actually attached with tape; just describing the sound). Anyone else in the same boat?

I had the tsb done and the sound at highway speeds is gone. Now I get this creak type sound when going over bumps and it seems to be coming from the a pillar. It sounds like they are attached with scotch tape and the tape is coming loss (I know they aren't actually attached with tape; just describing the sound). Anyone else in the same boat?

Hi foxtemple,

Have you had a chance to return to the dealer so they can address the creaking sound? Let me know how things progress.

Crystal

Another genius design from FoMoCo. Seriously though. How much weight does this save? Or was it done for aesthetic purposes?

I think the dealer isn't installing it right. My left A-Pillar has never fallen off or gave me the buzz but my right A-Pillar has. It still makes noises in high winds but I hope it doesn't fall off.

I suggest going to a different dealer. I think the main issue is the correct installation of these A-Pillar trims.

Ok I'm now experiencing this issue. Headed home this morning from the hospital I got over 60 mph and heard the rattle on the passenger side.

If there's a TSB for it, it's a no-charge item right? Just make arrangements with my dealer and have the work done?

There are so many things I like about my '12, but every other month I am finding the issues that are being discussed on this board. Some are more annoying than others.

CRAP! I thought FORD has already addressed this issue before my unit was built. With a built date of 05/2012, my EX started to exhibit the A-pillar rattle sound. When I inspected it, the moulding or trim where it meets the dash and windshield is loose!

Jeez! I thought I only had the Exhaust Smell issue but now this popped up too...*sigh*

Need to get some stuff done before the annual Spring Break trip to see the in-laws, so I've asked to have the A-pillars fixed as well.

Hopefully this is an easy fix.

Taking it to Flemington (Ditschman) Ford in NJ. They've done good work for me so far.

Need to get some stuff done before the annual Spring Break trip to see the in-laws, so I've asked to have the A-pillars fixed as well.

Hopefully this is an easy fix.

Taking it to Flemington (Ditschman) Ford in NJ. They've done good work for me so far.

Let me know how things go at Flemington, Untamed. If you'd like me to get involved, send me a PM with your current mileage and I'll get to work.

Thanks!

Crystal

Had the A-pillar fix done at the dealership this past Friday. Took less than an hour and didn't cost me anything.

This past weekend we drove 700 miles and didn't have any problems with the A-pillar (or the rest of the Ex for that matter), and enjoyed the entire trip. Put a few more miles on it since arriving without any problems, even plowing through 8+ inches of snow on unplowed roads here in the midwest, in a FWD base model.

Good job Ford. Issue fixed without any problems afterward.

I would STILL recommend a '12 Explorer.

Hi, new to the forum.

Same issues. Right side starts making massive "whistling" noise at a certain speed while driving. It is definetly the windshield.
Talked to dealership where explorer was purchased during the 5,000 mile check up. Basically got told that I am imagining things. Friend of mine had the same issues (same year model Explorer), got Windshield replaced. Me not, why?
Cory, if you still work Ford Customer Service, please contact me. I would appreciate your support in this. Thank you.

Hi, new to the forum.

Same issues. Right side starts making massive "whistling" noise at a certain speed while driving. It is definetly the windshield.
Talked to dealership where explorer was purchased during the 5,000 mile check up. Basically got told that I am imagining things. Friend of mine had the same issues (same year model Explorer), got Windshield replaced. Me not, why?
Cory, if you still work Ford Customer Service, please contact me. I would appreciate your support in this. Thank you.
Welcome to the Forum signal4life.:wavey:
Are you sure it is the windshield & not the 'A' pillar or the cowl that runs the length of the windshield? Cory is no longer on here. The new rep is Crystal.

NOTE: If in your profile you show the model along with the year, which I assume is 2011, it would help members when trying to answer your questions/concerns since some problems are model specific. That info would then show in the left column by your Forum name.

Peter

I have the same issue with my 2011 Limited, unfortunately for me i bought mine used and no longer have factory warranty to get the A-pillar checked out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Cory, if you still work Ford Customer Service, please contact me. I would appreciate your support in this. Thank you.

Hi signal4life.

As Peter said, I'm Crystal; I've taken over Cory's spot on the forum. I just sent you a private message (PM). Check out your inbox. :)

...Cory is no longer on here. The new rep is Crystal...

Thanks for helping out, Peter!

Crystal

Back