Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

just found your post and watched this video...
yep, that's the sound.. like a fart in the wind, lol.
but mine is on the driver side and not passenger.

I've only had the X for a month so I'm waiting for some updated TSB...
make sure the parts they determine is the right ones
even though ive read of successful fixes.

They ordered new gasket for mine. I have been in some pretty high wind since then doing about 70mph. Hasn't happened since. I drive on the highway everyday. As far as I'm concerned this fix works.

TTFN:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wind noise on passenger side front window. Be Careful

We were going 75 on a trip to AZ. and the noise just kept getting worse. We'd pull over trying to figure out where it was coming from. It flew off on the interstate. I had to drive like that til I got back to TN. Ford said it look like they just have those put on with velcro. I said I hope the whole vehicle wasn't put together that way. We have to keep snapping the bottom piece under the bumper. I not sure of what all these pieces are called : ) but no I'm ready to trade already.

edited.

We were going 75 on a trip to AZ. and the noise just kept getting worse. We'd pull over trying to figure out where it was coming from. It flew off on the interstate. I had to drive like that til I got back to TN. Ford said it look like they just have those put on with velcro. I said I hope the whole vehicle wasn't put together that way. We have to keep snapping the bottom piece under the bumper. I not sure of what all these pieces are called : ) but no I'm ready to trade already.

Say What?

Your saying the gasket came off at speed. Hmmmmm. Have you seen how these are installed. Can you clarify please. Was it the gasket or the plastic trim aplique? You had to snap it under the bumper? What did you snap under the bumper? Are you saying you had to SNAP the gasket to the bumper. Sounds like you got the wrong thread there bro. Your looking for the Bumper snap thing. Which is usually cause by people driving into to stuff and snapping it out of place.

I had the A Pillar rattle and on the way home from a trip I stuffed the rubber gasket piece with paper towels... rattle went away and a high p[itched whistle took its place... its to be fixed in a couple of weeks... hopefully

I assume your plastic applique came off.This is quite possible if the clips were damaged during assembly.My right one had damaged clips after the A-pillar problem was addressed.A new applique and clips were ordered to replace it.The clips and applique have to be ordered seperate,clips don't come with it.

The bumper facia problem has been addressed before.Again it is a clip out of position.If I recall correctly,it is an easy dealer fix.
I can't remember if it was a thread on this forum or on Explorer facebook where I read about this and the fix.

A-Pillar rattle

Well, I've got the rattle too! Build date 3-17-11. My wife is rather upset! I finally talked her into trading her Tahoe for a new Explorer and now I'm a bit embarrased and not looking so good! I told her how great the quality was on these and with less than 500 miles, the rattle occurs on her daily highway trips to work! I contacted 2 local dealers so far. One hadn't heard of the issue yet, and the other stated that he had just fixed what he called "wind noise" with some tape... Nice!... I just dropped 40 grand on a new car, and the dealer is going to fix a rattle with tape? My 2001 Silverado work truck is quieter on the expressway than our new Explorer! Can anyone tell me why there is no service bulletin on this issue when there is clearly multiple owners with the issue?

the quick easy fix for this is to run a strip of black electrical tape over the outside seam of the moulding. Ive had ours replaced & it didn't help, I'm back to the tape untill they figure out something better.:mad:

Yeah..

the quick easy fix for this is to run a strip of black electrical tape over the outside seam of the moulding. Ive had ours replaced & it didn't help, I'm back to the tape untill they figure out something better.:mad:

Since I've got a road trip to Wisconsin coming up, I may need to use this ghetto fix with tape on my $40,000 new car to make the trip tolerable!

Well, I've got the rattle too! Build date 3-17-11. My wife is rather upset! I finally talked her into trading her Tahoe for a new Explorer and now I'm a bit embarrased and not looking so good! I told her how great the quality was on these and with less than 500 miles, the rattle occurs on her daily highway trips to work! I contacted 2 local dealers so far. One hadn't heard of the issue yet, and the other stated that he had just fixed what he called "wind noise" with some tape... Nice!... I just dropped 40 grand on a new car, and the dealer is going to fix a rattle with tape? My 2001 Silverado work truck is quieter on the expressway than our new Explorer! Can anyone tell me why there is no service bulletin on this issue when there is clearly multiple owners with the issue?

There is a TSB on this. Search this forum.
There is also a link somewhere to you tube video. That's what I showed my dealer when he said I'll have to hear it first before ordering upgraded gaskets.

hmmm

There is also a link somewhere to you tube video. That's what I showed my dealer when he said I'll have to hear it first before ordering upgraded gaskets.

If there's a TSB, then why do the dealers not know about it? :wtf:

Just got back from a 2000 mile road trip/vacation. We had our moulding replaced, but the noise came back. I stopped at a truck stop and put some electrical tape down the moulding, noise is gone. I'm thinking about sealing the moulding with some black rtv, I should be able to do it without leaving any exposed so as to leave a stock appearance.

Just got back from a trip to Havasu high speeds, high winds = No "A" pillar rattle.... guess I got lucky with a later build date. Keeping my fingers crossed that I do not have an issue.

As far as I know the TSB only covers vehicles built before a certain date. There seem to be a lot built after that date that still have the problem, including mine.

Thanks

As far as I know the TSB only covers vehicles built before a certain date. There seem to be a lot built after that date that still have the problem, including mine.

What's your build date? Mine is 3-17-2011.

Mine was built in February. The text below comes from the beginning of this thread. I guess it's not a TSB but a "Special Service Message". I don't think there is a TSB for this issue.

SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGES
21760 2011 EXPLORER NOISE FROM THE A-PILLAR MOLDINGS
SOME 2011 EXPLORER VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 12/17/2010 MAY EXHIBIT A WIND NOISE COMING FROM THE WIND SHIELD AREA AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS. THIS MAY BE DUE TO A LOOSE A-PILLAR APPLIQUE. WINDSHIELD RESEALING/REPLACEMENT IS LIKELY NOT NECESSARY. USE TAPE TO TAPE OFF THE A-PILLAR APPLIQUE GAPS AND RETEST. IF THE NOISE IS GONE, VERIFY THAT THE APPLIQUE IS FULLY SEATED TO THE BRACKET. IF FULLY SEATED, FOLLOW NORMAL DIAGNOSTICS TO DETERMINE ROOT CAUSE AND SERVICE APPLIQUE OR ATTACHMENT BRACKET AS NECESSARY.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 03/01/2011

If there's a TSB, then why do the dealers not know about it? :wtf:
They do!
Mine looked it up on Oasis while I was there.

My Build date was 03/23/11.

My build date was 03/23/11.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know which side the following gasket goes on:

BB5Z7803137AA

This is the one that seems to be backordered dealer has the other three, waiting on it to get my rattle fixed. Seems that the rattle is on the passenger side for most that have reported the issue thats where mine is driver side seems quite.

Back