• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Explorer Audio upgrade(s)

tyrael44

Reaction score
You are not limited to a dual voice coil subwoofer. You can bridge 2 channels which should not cause any more load as long as you do not create any less resistance (less ohms) for each of the channels. If the Sony subwoofer is 1 ohm dvc you should be able to bridge the channels for a 2 ohm svc. Each of the channels will still see 1 ohm. If you don't trust the amp you can get a 4 ohm svc sub and each channel will see 2 ohms instead.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

deewan

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
My concern with brdiging the factory amp is I have no idea how the audio system is setup. Does the head unit send the right and left channels to the amp in full range, and the amp has the low and highpass filters wired in? If so, I don't want to bridge the amp because depending on the music, I could miss notes below whatever the lowpass filter is because of the one channel instead of two.

If the head unit does the splitting and the amp gets two ranges (let's say below and above 80Hz) for each right and left, then I would be fine brdiging the amp. The fact the factory system has a dual-voice coil makes me think the filters are in the amp, not the head unit.

Perhaps I will take the laptop out and stream my REW Audio Calibration I use for Home Theater setups through the system and try and determine how the Ford system breaks down the ranges.

tyrael44

Reaction score
Regardless if the amp or the headunit does the lowpass the subwoofer will still receive the same signal. Both channels are connected to the sub and not a different channel that would receive the highpass. It should never receive a full range signal being a subwoofer. And you have to hope they don't send 2 different signals (left and right not a sum) to each of the voice coils, because that's just a bad idea anyway. I don't think it will be a problem to bridge the channels together. You can test it by bridging the channels an wiring the stock dvc in a series. It will receive less power but it will give you an idea of how it sounds.

VinceL

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Any updates on your project deewan?

deewan

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
No updates. I got sidetracked with a different audio project....

wikidhd

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbridge,VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Lol nice golf cart....LMAO

VinceL

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
That's neat-o!

Now all you need is the Caddy Shack theme blasting on them :)

deewan

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
That's neat-o!

Now all you need is the Caddy Shack theme blasting on them :)
I don't have the music, although I could play some Kenny Loggins through an iPod and the stereo. BUT I do have an electric horn that play's "We're In the Money" much like Rodney Dangerfield's car does when he first pulls up to Bushwood's. I'm gonna take a guess the older members at the country club won't like me much once this cart is complete. :)

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
jl audio has a stealth box for the explorer that goes right where the factory sub goes. Still gives you the ability to fold the 3rd row up and down. Obviously it is money.. but a nice semi-factory look with a high quality product.

deewan

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Thanks for the suggestion, but that JL box is WAAAAAY overpriced for what it is, seeing as I am a DIY guy. And it requires removal/replacement of the rear panel as well as the loss of some cargo room. I need every inch of width possible to haul golf bags and I'm not a fan of paying that much for what it is.

VinceL

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Thought I would dust off this old thread and see how it was going deewan :)

I did find out something the other day though. I was fumbling through the voice commands and was trying to play the Amadeus motion picture sound track. After I gave the command the car thought I said Monkey Business and started playing the Peas. Well, to my surprise, the subwoofer came to life and the car was vibrating from stem to stern. It was thumping pretty good, enough that I would be happy if it could muster that sort of bass response more often. That got me to thinking, and I am not so sure the current subwoofer is as bad as I thought, but that the crossover is set horribly low, so that only 'thumpy' music really triggers it. I have the bass setting cranked all the way up, and it doesn't do much good. I feel the crossover frequency is set too low, and causes the bass to get lost as the other speakers aren't going low enough to cover the gap. If only there was a way to hack the Sony and reset the crossover.

deewan

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
I hope to be revisiting this upgrade in a few weeks times. Summer sports have consumed all my free time.

After removing the factory subwoofer driver this past spring and inspecting it, it is better than what I thought it would be, but it isn't anything fantastic. You are right that the crossover point would effect the drivers performance, but I think the system is setup as sort of a 2.1 system. I believe the door speakers run full-range and the subwoofer has a high-pass filter to only block high freq from playing and damaging the driver.

In a good audio system, the EQ only needs to be adjusted to correct room nulls, not to correct any mechanical performance shortcomings. From the few people I've talked to, they have the bass turned half way or more up on the EQ in their Explorer. That means the sub isn't keep up with the rest of the system (or people have a bad taste of what music should sound like). While the speakers in this system do have their shortcomings, they are not horrible when compared to many factory systems. When compared to after-market drivers it gets pretty bad pretty quick.

My biggest concern and desire for the upgrade is the huge dropoff on the bottom end and the low quality of bass. The Black Eyed Peas have bass in their music, but it isn't that low or that sharp/crisp. So the factory sub can normally handle it with ease. It's difficult to describe why the Sony factory driver doesn't suit be using words, so the best I can do is I want to hear BUM-bum-BUM-bum-BUM-bum...
the alternation of two different notes. The current driver provides me with BAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMM

VinceL

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
It definitely isn't musical, that is for sure. I thought it just couldn't reach low, but it can when forced. Like you, I wish it were a bit more articulate in the lower realms. A lot of my music I listen to in the house sounds completely different when I listen to it in the car, and it goes beyond the quality of the speakers. It seems to me more how the speakers are set up in relation to each other. I think the sub needs to be active a bit sooner to round out the music fully. Of course, if the sub isn't up to the task, having it kick in a bit sooner will only make things worse, lol. I would like to give it a try though, just to see what it is capable of in the hopes that I might be pleasantly surprised.

My father-in-law's Avalanche with the Bose system just kinda hums all the time muddying the sound trying to fill bass in everywhere, but without any sort of purpose. He hates it, lol.

Last edited:

majicmic

Reaction score
City, State
Honolulu, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Hey deewan you ever find out if the amp feeds just the sub or the entire system?

deewan

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Hey deewan you ever find out if the amp feeds just the sub or the entire system?
I haven't confirmed it, but I believe it feeds the entire system. Next time I open up the back end, I plan on finding out.

13Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
I haven't confirmed it, but I believe it feeds the entire system. Next time I open up the back end, I plan on finding out.
One amp feeds all speakers, the wiring diagram was posted in a thread sometime last year. I can confirm the wiring diagram is correct because I used it to install an aftermarket amp/sub in my 2011

Flashmanrpr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
One amp feeds all speakers, the wiring diagram was posted in a thread sometime last year. I can confirm the wiring diagram is correct because I used it to install an aftermarket amp/sub in my 2011
Can you please post the wiring diagram ? I'm also interested in installing an aftermarket amp/sub in my 2011. Thanks!!

VinceL

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Well, since you care deewan, I decided to bump this thread :)

Any updates on the subwoofer rework?

Fernan

Reaction score
City, State
Caribbean
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS & 13 Explorer Base
Can you please post the wiring diagram ? I'm also interested in installing an aftermarket amp/sub in my 2011. Thanks!!
I would also be interested in seeing the wiring diagram... Haven't been able to find it in the forum though...
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

deewan

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Working on the 2009 Expedition sub, head unit, and speaker upgrade first, since it needs it more. Then the Explorer. Possibly a home Theater sub upgrade first. So many projects to get done before the snow flakes fly. :eek: And I am back to thinking of replacing all the speakers and possibly the amp.

The wiring diagram is shown here: http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/vehiclewiring/1/yeard/Ford.html

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J 2014 Explorer Audio Modification. Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
E 2019 Explorer XLT Audio Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
L 2016 Explorer Sport - Audio System Build Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 60
L 2014 Explorer Sport Audio Idea Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
M Can I use 18" wheels on my 2017 explorer limited. Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
R Steeda springs (555 8202) vs Sport explorer springs (DB5Z-5310-K) in my XLT with B6 install Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 5
A New Explorer Sport Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
O 2016 Explorer sport Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
Bobs2018Explorer Is it possible to recalibrate the Explorer transmission to the same settings as the PIU transmission? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 10
X Explorer Front Stock Speaker Upgrade - Sony System Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
R Best hubcentric spacers for a 2019 Explorer? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
W 2016 Explorer Limited - 911 Assist Not Operational Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
S Mods for wife's 2014 Explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
Fasterdamnit! Help! Power Stop Z23-1508 pads do not fit my '14 Explorer Sport front calipers Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 10
S Raptor Grille for Ford Explorer 2011-2015 Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 14
C 2019 Explorer Sport Speaker Install/Discussion Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
ecoboost_xsport 2015 Ford Explorer Stock Speaker Upgrade - Sony System Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 20
L 18 mustang wheels on 17 explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
J Hide wooden trim in explorer? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
J Tow/Haul Mode 2011 Explorer without tow package Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
G Installation of Power running boards on my ford explorer 2015 XLT Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
TJ@Steeda Steeda New Product Release: Steeda F-150/Explorer Pro-Flow Blow-Off Valve Adapter (2011-2019) Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
C Explorer sport 9006/9012 upgrade Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
J Issues with FORScan in 2018 Explorer Sport Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 21
TJ@Steeda Now Available: Steeda Explorer Adjustable Toe Links Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 10
M Headlight/Fog light upgrade for 2015 Explorer Sport Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 24
M 2018 Explorer Speaker Install Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 49
9 2016 Explorer Sport Downpipes or Borla Catback Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
expoman55 2019 and 2020 Explorer wheel pattern & tire size. Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
J Upgrades for 2018 Explorer XLT Base? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
J How to "Sportify"/black out my non sport explorer? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
D New Explorer owner ready to modify Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
G 2015 ford explorer XLT Door Unlock Wire Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
B Any more upgrades to a 14 NA Explorer? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
F 2019 Explorer Sport thermostat change Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
Z Setina PB 400 Push Bar installation help 2012 Explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
C Any of the PIU front bumper components fit base Explorer? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
S Need Help - Explorer Not Shifting Up When Floored - Bigger Tires 295 45 20 and SCT Tune Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 5
T Lincoln Navigator 22’s on Explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
T Mounting gun box (security box) to 2014 explorer sport (floor mount) Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
ghosted Some good, but mostly hilarious Explorer mods Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 10
F Borla Cat-back install on my 2014 Explorer Sport Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 14
J 17 explorer cargo/trunk light bulb type? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
1 Best tuner for Explorer Sport? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 32
A Comparing LED bulb to my old Halogen bulb - Explorer 2013 Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 14
expoman55 360 camera view available on Explorer? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
M Ford Explorer Dyno Tips Help Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
B How To: 2017 Explorer Custom Mount for Yakima Awning Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
B 2018 Explorer SPORT tune and exhaust? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 19
D 2013 Ford Explorer Sport “Recommended” upgrades Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4